Reefrocks sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by pete33, Oct 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pete33

pete33 Astrea Snail

Posted this on another forum and fishing for more users of this sand. Thinking of using their dry rocks and about 40 lbs of sand (since it's free with the rock purchase). My question, is it really fine or course enough where I won't have a sand storm? It's going in my 2 nd build - approx 50 gallons (36 x 18 x 19"). Currently using some stuff that looks like crushed coral, but I think the sand looks prettier. Thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I like it alot, plus it comes pre rinsed which is nice. Its still a little cloudy, but not bad. I'd say its medium coarseness, it flew around a bit for a couple days, but haven't had any problems at all with it since. It's a nice whitish color too in the tank! Best sand I've used so far.

4. pete33

pete33 Astrea Snail

Thanks. I do like the look better than the arag sand I've been using.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Late to reply, but +1 w/ Cosmos. I have it in all 3 of my tanks. I have a couple sand sifters/movers, and they love it :) There are also plenty of shells and smaller rocks which adds to the natural reef look IMO.

6. pete33

pete33 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the posts. Think I'm sold on this. Would 40 lbs be enough for about 1" deep for a 36 x 18?

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Yes, but just barely! 40lbs should give you just about 700 cubic inches of sand. The area you want is 650 :)

But, you want to put your rocks right on the bottom, which will displace some of the sand. So in the end, you should have plenty.

10. i3oosted

i3oosted Flamingo Tongue

Just put the last of the sand in my 75g, 2 40lb bags, and it was just enough for a good 2"+ sand bed. The sand was fantastic, and prerinsed. I didn't even stop my powerheads when I put it in and after a day it wasn't cloudy. Nothing is in there as the tank is at the end of it's cycle. The rock was even better(90lbs used).