Reefgeek T5 SLR Retrofit Installation Help

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by infamous, Dec 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I don't think i need to build that wooden frame because i have a caopy and plus it would block my halides. Take a look at my canopy

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

No,you do not need another bracket. I only said that because I thought you did not have a canopy. In my case I did not have a canopy, so I did the bracket ;). You're going to have a lot of light :thumbs_up.

4. infamous

Heheh thanks

hmm seems like the reflectors would only be an inch from the canopy, should i place the reflectors farther away from the canopy. What are those metal pieces that you screwed in the brackets to?

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Who is this directed toward?:confused:

6. IBMGeek

Those are most likely his standoffs. Correct me If I'm wrong Fragenstein.

7. infamous

To you Fragenstein. You have those plastic brackets screwed onto some kind of metal brackets.

Did you do that to distance the reflectors from the wooden frame?

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

The metal pieces are the standoffs, they are drilled into the frame. I needed to make a frame to hold them as my canopy wasn't going to cut it, the canopy goes over the frame...
    Back to your question, the standoffs are needed as they hold the endcaps, you can't put the endcaps into anything other than the standoffs. Endcaps hold bulbs, reflector clips onto bulbs. My bulbs are maybe 3" from the water level. I didn't want to go closer as I thought the center braces would cast a shadow. Plus 3" is CLOSE enough!!

Good luck, did I answer all the questions?

10. infamous

I was asking about the distance from the reflectors to the frame not the water.

My canopy is 11" high so im not worried about the distance to the water.

Please link me to your 180 thread. Do you have any pictures or details about the lectrical on your thread?

11. IBMGeek

Nice setup Fragenstein. By the way this thread has 16 replies and 19 views as of now. Goes to show that 3reef does answer posts ;).

I think 1" separation is suficient. Fans blowing across the tubes, helps increase output a little.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  12. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Damn too bad you aren't close, or I would help wire it up for you. I have a hard time explaining, but know how to do it. When I get hime, I can try to explain how the wiring is done if you'd like. And yes, do blow cool air onto the bulbs, it helps prolong their life. My cheapo SO flourescent will flicker on/off after it's been on for more than 2 hours because of the heat.