Reefbreeders Photon Fixture and Stunner strips?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Anthos312, Aug 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Hey,

I've got one of the photon fixtures from Reefbreeders. It's an awesome controllable light and I love it but I feel like my corals could "pop" a bit more.

I was considering adding a few stunner strips and velcroing or adhering them onto the bottom edges of the fixture. I was thinking about adding:

(1) 12.5" 6 watt Stunner LED 403nm Ultraviolet
    (1) 12.5" 6 watt Stunner LED Magenta

What do you all think? Do you think the Magenta and UV would really show through and enhance color?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Rarend99

Rarend99 Coral Banded Shrimp

Interesting Idea, I kinda like it though! Im interested to see what the colors would like like with the stunners

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

If you can I'd do a simple DIY strip with mostly HV and RB with a few CB that are run really low to prevent a PAR/PUR overload

5. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Did a DIY fixture back in the day and it was decent in the meantime. I like the professional look of my Photon fixture and want something I can easily attach, no exposed wires, etc. I'm going to stray from the DIY for this project :)

Thanks tho.

6. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

IMO UV doesnt really add anything to the way your corals look color wise. The magenta is a great strip, ive seen it used in my LFS and the corals really popped with it. However they also showed me the UV, and I couldnt tell any difference. There may be benefits coral health wise using it, but as far as what you can see there wont be any noticeable changes.

7. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

There is no such thing as actual UV leds (<399nm) over reefs, they are usually TV, which provide a good pop and good par, HV is a PAR monster and provides a ton of pop