Reef Sparky's 18" x 18" x 18" Nano Build.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ReefSparky, Sep 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Can I just add a valve to my AGA mega overflow and use that to lower the amount of noise I am getting?

2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

wow... the bean is very similar to the herbie...

Like you stated. dead silent and NO bubbles. Very awesome. e

I love my herbie overflow.... More need to go with a bean or herbie to truly understand the beauty of it.

Sparky... it would be easie for you to go herbie style on your 90 since you have the corner overflow.

4. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I love the Bean overflow design and is what I planned from the beginning for my 113g tank, in process.
    Just to clairify for people the emergency drain should never see water if all goes well and the 2nd (open downturned pipe has the airline on it so that should the main siphon become blocked that the open pipe will become a siphon when the water rises enough to cover the end of the airline). Did you set your siphon pipe a bit lower than the open channel one, I read that it helps upon start/restart up.

Anyway great job on all of it, can't wait to hear your thoughts on the system.

Also where did you find your elbows at they look nice and not too big, though you're probably using smaller diameter pipe than what I'll need.

1 person likes this.
  5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Yeah, Patrick. I should have clarified that. I can't go with the Bean on a corner. It'll be a Herbie. I just really hate the idea of the return coming over the lip of the tank.

6. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I hear ya....if you have them split over the center brace its not too bad... symmetrical from side to side.

Either way.... this cube is pretty neat.

7. ReefSparky

Yeah, thanks for clarifying that. The airline equipped pipe is the open channel, and the middle pipe is the emergency.

My holes are all on the same level, but I set the bulkheads so that the siphon pipe bulkhead bottoms out on the drilled hole, and the open channel "rests" on the top of the drilled hole. So to answer the question, yes--the siphon sits about 1/8" lower. Didn't help for me, though.

I used 1.5" Sanitary Tees, as there's no such thing as a 1" Sanitary Tee. The sanitary type has the swept, curved tee. I liked it better, and just necked it down to 1" pipe. I got the Tees at Home Depot. The only thing I had to buy online were the bulkheads.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Intense little tank there Larry - very cool. 8) You cranked that out. I love it.

Question about your lighting choice... are you not doing actinics to keep the pendant clean looking?

Curious as I have a single 150w halide 14k over my tank and I am dying to add T5 blues to it but the big trade off is real estate over my open top as to do so would require a 2' fixture. :p

10. ReefSparky

In a word, I think no, xmetal. The noise is derived from air being let into the standpipes or dursos, or overflows. The Bean works because it's based on a siphon.

A valve alone on a single tube is going to lose its sweet spot eventually. That's where the second pipe comes in on the Bean. It's like the butler always standing there with a broom and dustpan. You can drop as many crumbs as you like, but the floor will remain clean.

11. ReefSparky

Thanks, KingFish. I didn't really crank it out that fast. I took all the pictures over time, and just posted it all in a few days. :) (very sneaky)

I'm not doing actinics for the real estate reason you mentioned. I want the whole project to look unobtrusive.

I avoided a 24" cube b/c I wanted this tank to be "little." It would have been easier to plant a 24" T5 fixture above a 24" tank, but I wanted small.

1 person likes this.
  12. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Looks great Reef, just read through the thread and will be tagging along to see how it turns out.

1 person likes this.