Reef Sparky's 18" x 18" x 18" Nano Build.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ReefSparky, Sep 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Only if I can get yours first!

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

So here's an attempt at a video to show how silent this thing really is. As I say in the video, I'm thrilled to death! For reference, this is called The Bean Overflow. Legend has it that the "creator" (didn't invent it, but put two and two together, so to speak) once wore a shirt that said, "Be An Animal" and for the creases in the shirt, and the picture snapped, the history books show "BeAn Animal" which was shortened to Bean. So there's some history on the name.

Anyways, enjoy!!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Thanks for the vid..

5. ReefSparky

You're welcome.

1 person likes this.
  6. Soggytoes

Soggytoes Flamingo Tongue

Looks awesome! Quick question on the stand design. I am using that same design to build my 65 gallon stand. I was thinking about making it extend 2 inches from all 4 sides to be able to fit my 40br in as a sump. This would mean the tank wont rest on the top box similar to yours. I plan to use a 3/4 " sheet of plywood for the tank to sit on. Do you think this will work or would I be better off using the 2x4's like you did? Sorry if this is a bit off topic : )

7. divott

divott Giant Squid

wow, i just caught up to this thread . excellent work on the whole project sparky. nice look, and i like how you had to show off how level you got it all. :). all hail the reefmeister. lol. i look forward to more updates.

guy

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

Hey, Soggytoes. I'm not aware of the structural numbers for 3/4" ply, so I can't comment. I was going to put plywood above my 2x4s, but since the smaller stuff is sold at max 24" on one side, and my stand is 25" from front to back--I just skipped it. Personally, for the expense to peace of mind ratio, I can't justify taking ANY chances when it comes to water on my floor. I'd go with the 2x4s, or at the very least, look up what 3/4" plywood is rated to withstand before breaking. Good luck.

10. ReefSparky

Thanks, Guy! Nice to see ya. :)

11. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

always good to see your projects, reefsparky. looks good.
    i'm curious why the BA overflow wouldn't tune. any idea?

12. ReefSparky

No idea. In the traditional use, the open channel (middle) drain should be downturned like the main. It didn't work for me. Weighing my options and observing how it works, I'm perfectly content with the emergency and open channel being upturned. Like I say sometimes, I think I have a better chance at winning the lottery two weeks in a row than having a flood from this. :)