Reef Octopus Super XP 2000 Cone Protein Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

It's been a week since the last pic update :D How are ya liking it, what's the skimmate like? Keep in mind you're the only person on here with one of these so you're the go to guy for pics and info :)

2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Sorta a pic update is in my tank thread on last page.

I know ive been slacking on an update... just had a hell of a weekend with my sump and pvc piping to my overflow...

Since ive replaced my sump the water level is now constant which was much needed. Before My water level fluctuated an inch and was really causing issues for me. But it still managed to pull about 2 - 2 1/2 inches of skimmate as of sunday evening which was the one week mark.

Cup cleaned sunday night and tonight has about a 1/4 inch of skimmate with 48hrs of work. Keep in mind the collection cup has some good size to it.

Im still happy with it... much more happier with my new sump in. yea its been only been a little over a week since ive had it running.

Im not the protein skimmer expert so I really cant compare it to any other well know skimmers.

I will be writing some type of review on this for 3reef early november.

Any questions you may have?

4. tatted4ever

Time for a week 2 update..... The Octo XP is giving me a solid performance with pulling some nasty skimmate. I havent seen skimmate pulled off my tank like this before :)

Much better since water level is constant with my new sump.

Have had some difficulty with my tank this past week though.... not sure if its affected the performance on the skimmer. Meaning more skimmate or less. Had a phosphate spike which has killed quite a bit of my sps and wounded them all...... added a phosban reactor and added a sock with a half cup of carbon. Carbon may have prohibited some more skimmate to collect.
    Posted more details in my tank thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skimmate on white paper to show the darkness.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Wow, that's a nice skimmer. Looking great!

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Cool. Bummer about you PO4s.

7. tatted4ever

well just another pic.... looked at the collection cup and was just amazed the dark nasty amount of skimmate thats being collected. I have made some minor tweaks to the gate valve this week.... and I think I found its ''sweet spot''. Note: cup wa emptied sunday night.

[​IMG]

granited Ive had some coral die off and some problems with my tank lately..... just reassures me that I have a solid performing skimmer when I see nice skimmate collection.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thats some dark skimmate. I think you did find the spot.

10. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

How long did it take to get that amount of skimmate?

11. tatted4ever

in post #71 that was from sunday to thursday. 4 days ;D

12. Flazky

Flazky Bristle Worm

Heya
    Im kind of new to skimmers so I was wondering if the external 2000xp needed a feed pump or if the bubble blaster draw water to the skimmer when it is used externally.