Reef Octopus Super XP 2000 Cone Protein Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

That is the only prob I am running into... Because Ill bump into my water level sensor and here comes more water in the sump :angry:

Tunze = $$$ lol.... I think ill check these out.. Thanks Matt

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No prob... and I don't want to derail here - but they will allow for more precise control. (And yes, they are expensive.) Truth be told my old Kent Marine Float switch for $15 seemed pretty accurate too, but that was so OLD SCHOOL. :)

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Back on topic, is the pump on this skimmer quiet?

5. tatted4ever

Quiet quiet... honestly it is not. There is a slight and I mean slight hummmmmmmm to it. Not obnoxious but if your trying to hear it you will hear it (ear next to sump). with stand doors closed cant hear it at all. Nothin to really to complain about at all :).

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Glad to hear it. I did not like the pump last skimmer - it was loud. :p

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Don't sweat the XP, water level is key to all needle wheels. I see you have a under bubble trap. Honestly, the best thing you can do for your self is silicone a baffle into your sump with an overflow set at the water level you want. My skimmer section is constant water level regardless. My ATO is set in my return section. It would not be too difficult for you.

I have a Tunze osmolator I bought used for $100. It is a kick butt ATO.

Also..... I had a AquaC which is black. When I got my white Bubble King, my skimmate always looks very light. Well.... white will do that. Most folks think their skimmate is very dark, but it is just the black plastic. If you poored it in a glass, it would be closer to tea. Point is that now I have my K2, I am not back to very dark skimmate.;)

Just don't be suprised if your skimate looks more like tea that the coffee you were expecting.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Seems like an awesome skimmer. Will be interesting to see what this pulls after a week or so.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Karma for that idea. Nice one.

11. tatted4ever

The tunze osmolator looks real good. Precision I like... and this would be perfect to prevent any problems with my XP. I hadnt ever thought id be upgrading my ato for the skimmer. looks like another thing to throw on craigslist.

12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I just use a float valve. Water level stays constant, at least I don't notice it fluctuate.