Reef Cleaners to the Rescue!!! *UPDATE* pg. 4

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by hydrologic, Dec 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hydrologic

hydrologic Feather Duster

Not yet free of the "fuzz" down there, but I did remove a couple handfuls from the sump today. I'll be removing more tomorrow. When I get the reactor online I'll remove more and then just turn off the boostled. Around that time I should really be able to tell where things are heading. Very excited to see how it turns out and give some updates!

2. Click Here!

3. hydrologic

Reef Cleaners to the Rescue *Update*

Just wanted to post an update on the progress of my and ReefCleaners' attempt to eradicate caulerpa verticillata from my tank.

First, I finally received and installed a Dual BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor to reduce phosphates and nitrates. The reactor is working well, but it has only been installed and running for 2 days.

Second, I finally replaced all of my lights, and acclimation is almost done.

Third, I pulled all of the fuzzy caulerpa I could out of my sump and turned off the light so that I can eradicate it completely from there.

Lastly, I once again manually removed as much fuzzy caulerpa from the DT as possible.

Here are some pictures...

What I removed

[​IMG]

The sump after removal. It still looks like there is a lot in there, but really I removed a alot.
    [​IMG]

Two closeups of the caulerpa on the rocks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, the final product...for now.

[​IMG]

4. hydrologic

Question. Can Caulerpa verticillata or Caulerpa in general be starved out by reducing nitrates and phosphates?

I probably should have asked this question before I invested in my dual GFO/carbon reactor, but I assumed starving it out was the only way to go because manual removal is impossible. What do you all think?

5. hydrologic

*UPDATE*

So things are slowly turning around. The reactor is doing exactly what it's supposed to and I love my new bulbs.
    Yesterday I did some more manual removal and then the CUC came through and tidied up the place. The CUC has played a crucial role in making this happen.

So, here is a picture of the progress...
    [​IMG]

6. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

tank looks great tons of progress congrats. I found the best animal for algae is a foxface. I had all sorts of algae GHA caulpera and i put a foxface in as well as skimmer and fuge and no more GHA. also caulpera is like candy to them i put the caulpera in my intank fuge and it grows out of the holes but the foxface just destroys it within minutes

7. hydrologic

Thanks Drew3! I bet a foxface would think he had died and gone to heaven when he saw my tank, but only for about two days because my tank is way too small for one of those guys. I'm actually grateful that I wasn't able to use a quick fix like that though because the overall health and quality of my tank has improved so much. Thanks again, Jarrett

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

oops! lol... I was looking at the pics from pages back. Tank looks great now! Way to beat it back, the CUC may have helped some, but you did most of the legwork here, very nice.

10. hydrologic

Thanks John, seeing the progress has been very rewarding.
    It did take a lot of work on my part, but I don't think I would've been motivated to do it if it wasn't for the contest.
    On a different note, did you see how white the sand is?! Those guys have really polished things up. It's difficult find any settled detritus.
    Thanks again John. I'll keep the updates coming.