Reef Bruh's 600 Gallon Upgrade

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by ReefBruh, Sep 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ya, I do understand, because it was the same thing I was thinking. I mean a clean peninsula is nice... and at the other end you do need to route the cords for the two Vortechs... so it does sort of put a fly in the ointment.

Just for me personally though... we are talking about Vortechs which give the cleanest look you can get, and to me the amount of flow options you get from 4 pumps with a WMX... I would do it for that alone. I am very interested in gyre flow... but as you know with the WXM the possibilities are endless.... even putting it in "Gyre" mode... two directions with pumps at opposite corners... you have ramp rates to switch, you can still use reef crest for variety, you could pulse and try to get a wave action and mass flow... then just talking of 4 pumps on each end.. reef crest, synced or anti synced... let them all fly individual for a strom, ramp it up during the day and down at night.... I mean it would just be endless what you could do for your reef with that 4 corner configuration with a center island.

I did see a peninsula a while back.. here in Colorado I think, big huge tank... had like 8-16 Vortechs? Mounted on the one end and 4 or 8 on each side.... he would just let each side fly and you could see really good flow around the tank. He had a ton of tangs and they loved the "river" flow. So that can be done too... but he had a ton of flow and lot of MP40s.

You could always do 4 MP40s... two on each side to give a better vertical profile... top to bottom good flow instead of just one pump, try it out and then have the ability to try 4 corners and see what you think. I still feel though you would have much better flow utilizing predominately Vortechs over Closed loop. You actually have me interested now. A small closed loop system to keep my rock work clean would solve a lot of problems. So actually both would work well, I just feel that what Vortechs do best overall should be exploited to the fullest.

... damn... here you have me talking about tanks again. :-/

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Its cool with you talking about tanks. You do have a wealth of knowledge.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I love water, and I find marine biology fascinating, but I have spent my life with energy and fluid flow. So the life support system had me hooked from day one.

Your tanks are great, and how ever you configure it you are going to have another great tank aesthetically, and performing.

We still have not sold our house. About done for this year... do it again next. The market just does not support what I need to ge tout of it. I mean we are already loosing money which is fine cause we will make up for it on the other end, but I can only loose so much and get into another one. So no tanks in the near future.... but maybe I can start with a 30g... make it a sump for the 4x2 120... make it a sump when I move to my 60x30... maybe 60x36... no maybe 72x48... and then....;D

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Sump is finally finished. Next, water test.[​IMG]

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

[​IMG]

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

[​IMG]

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

11. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Thanks. Its not perfect but I learned alot from building my own sump. I doubled up on the weldon 16 to make sure everything was secured. I will test it out in 24-48 hours for leaks. And a big thanks for dpruitt for helping me move it.

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Have you thought about doing a closed loop system for that size tank?