Reef breeders 32" controllable or maxspect razor

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by R33FNuB, Feb 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

1.0Reef can you explain how the RB has better controllability?
    The RB has 3 channels, And the third channel is for moonlights.
    Razor has 2 channels. has whites and blue channel.
    the only difference is a third channel but just for moonlights.

the two have the same controllaibility.(aside from a moonlight channel)

2. Click Here!

3. R33FNuB

R33FNuB Astrea Snail

i think what he mean by better control is the razor only has 8 time points you can use for dimming but the RB fixture can be dimmed every half hour i think

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Exactly, not a large difference though.

5. bhazard

bhazard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've had the Razors and Reefbreeders over my tank. They are both excellent options.

If you want a sleeker fixture, and never want to change leds around with solder, go Razor. The 16k unit has a nice blue look to it, but doesn't have that 660nm red pop that brings out clownfish and red color.

I kept the Reefbreeders because of a few huge reasons. Last night I opened up the fixture and added 430nm and 405nm violets to it, along with replacing the green leds with cyan ones. This probably won't be the last time I change led layouts either. I should have taken pics of the internals. Very nicely wired with quick connects, full aluminum heatsink with 3 finned sections, drivers labeled with info. Solid build.

They offer leds right on the site (not the ones I used though), and they are like $2 each. You can't swap like this with the Razor at all, and this won't void your warranty unless you cause damage to the fixture. Very few companies would allow that. Reefbreeders has a little higher PAR and a better spread as well.

Another thing never mentioned... you will have two giant external power supplies you will need to mount somewhere with the Razor (and Radion Pro too, it is almost the size of the fixture itself). The Reefbreeders power supplies are built into the fixture, and save a ton of space.

I'm a huge fan of Reefbreeders and the fixtures they use. The chinese OEM is solid, and the new wireless light coming out eventually has me intrigued too. It would be even better than the DIY light I'm almost finished making, which has taken me almost 2 months to complete, for not too much more cost wise.

6. R33FNuB

R33FNuB Astrea Snail

i cant wait to get these in but i havent got a tracking number yet. is there any benifit to getting rid of the greens?its great that u can change out single led.would any one want to see a before and after shot

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I am very confused. You said you owned the razor and you say it has two giant power supplies? because the Razor only has one power supply. Also it is one of the best power supplies meanwell sells. Secondly having the power supplies inside the fixture adds tons of extra weight. a Big disadvantage for hanging options.(also Bhazard can you show me this 27" long power supply). You claim its about as big as the razor.

Razor also uses high end Cree leds and bridgelux.
    After looking at the reef breeders site. The photon series gives no description of leds used. I had to research and find on another site they are just bridgelux. For almost the same price the razor uses cree diodes and bridgelux. I think thats a huge factor.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

I believe he said that the radion power supply was larger than the radion its self, not the razor. He had 2 razors as well, I believe he posted that in one of his threads. Yes, we use Bridgelux diodes. They get a bad rap because of some of the lower quality versions used, but they can be pretty powerful, especially with optics. The drivers we use weigh about 2-3 pounds total, so weight is not much of a concern. If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.
    p.s. I will add the diode info to the site, thanks for the heads up.

10. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Didn't read the whole thread but figured i would chime in on my experience. So far, reefbreeders is fantastic. I purchased their dimmable fixture with 2 channels. I have it ramp up and down to simulate dusk and dawn and eventually moonlights come on. It is a great effect visually for the tank. For $250 i am definitly happy with this fixture. It is the one with the touch sensitive programming on the front side.

Whatever fixture u get, you will be happy with it. In addition, the company responds well by email and has good customer service with shipping updates if you need them.

Goodluck :)

11. R33FNuB

R33FNuB Astrea Snail

i was looking at some other post and people were saying that u should replace the leds in this setup because they are bridge lux but these post were a year or two old.so i was wondering is there still that big of a difference between cree and bridge lux and if there is is it really that much to justify replaceing the led

12. bhazard

bhazard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

1 power supply per Razor. They are easily 8 inches long each. The Radion Pro power supply is nearly the size of the Radion itself. The Razor power supply is around the same size, see:

[​IMG]

Crees are more efficient per watt, but that's a moot point when they are running at 5 watts, as the efficiency drops significantly. If you run 2 bridgelux leds at ~2.5W for every Cree at 5W, you get the same power and a cooler running led. I built my own DIY light running Crees at 5W. I used 36 Crees at 5W in a 12x12 footprint, and it can make the fixture hot to the touch. The Radion Pro also gets hot to the touch. This reduces the lifespan of the leds. The Razor and RB lights are cool to the touch.

The RB matches the PAR of the Radion Pro, and the RB is a little bit stronger in PAR than the Razor. I've had them all over my tank. Until my own DIY light for this tank is complete,the RB is my favorite so far.