Reef breeders 32" controllable or maxspect razor

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by R33FNuB, Feb 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. R33FNuB

R33FNuB Astrea Snail

thanks for the extra lil push would have been here looking for reviews and what not all night i would love to see a light off bettween these two lights

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

can't wait to see the outcome.

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Both are very great, the Razor uses higher quality LED's and looks better while the RB is cheaper and has better controllability.
    2 27 inch Razors would work
    or 2 24-32 inch RB fixtures.

5. R33FNuB

R33FNuB Astrea Snail

since i have never worked with a light that could be controlled like this what would be a good starting point for the light since currently my tank is only lit by 2 400watt mh with radium bulbs

6. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

A good starting point, if the bulbs are brand new, would be about 50% power max, for 12 hours a day. If they are a year old, I would start lower, around 25-30%, for the same amount of time.

7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Good choice,I think two of the RB lights(32") will give you good coverage and work well for you.

8. Click Here!

9. cap914

cap914 Plankton

2 27" Razors are actually perfect for a 6ft by 18in aquarium with only 1 centerbrace. Your suggestion, though nice, is overkill and would create an issue with the 1 center brace. Tanks of this size with 2 center braces are perfectly lit with 3 20" Razors. Like the OP, I was down to the Razor and Reefbreeders. I went with 2 27" Razors for my 125 for various reasons and Im very pleased. Im sure the OP will be pleased with his Reef Breeders decision as well. They do appear to be quality units.

10. R33FNuB

R33FNuB Astrea Snail

ok i should have asked this before but will 90 optics be plenty or should i have gotten 120 optics cause i think 60 would be too tight of a beam of light i hope that makes any sense

11. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Thanks for noticing but the recomendation came before knowing about the certerbrace! I don't always think about centerbraces since most reefers in my local area don't have them. After noticing the centerbrace I recomended the Reef Breeders because I feel it has better coverage than the 27" Razor.
    I feel 100% comfortable with that recomendation as I know what the
    Razor is and is not capable of. It's one of my favorite units at the moment and recommend them all the time. I was aswereing the questions based on the given circumstances as I knew them. As more info was given, my recomendation evolved.

I would hardly quantify my recomendation of spending $100 more dollars for 13 more LED diodes than you recomended as overkill!

12. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Lol, what ever happened to Orphek? I've been away for awhile and noticed I don't see their sponsor forum anymore. Or mysterious reviews by 1 day old accounts...

As far as the OP, I think reef breeders is awesome. I don't have first hand experience, but I love a company that is present on the forums in a positive way and their products look solid.