Reef breeders 32" controllable or maxspect razor

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by R33FNuB, Feb 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. R33FNuB

R33FNuB Astrea Snail

I just want a few peoples thoughts on which lighting would be better since both are aboout the same price

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I have a razor and am very happy with it,the reef breeders light looks very good also.What are your tanks dimensions?

4. R33FNuB

R33FNuB Astrea Snail

72x18x27 mixed reef

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

It all depends on what you are looking for. What is important to you? The Reef Breeders is probably the best bang for the buck however the Razor is not too far behind. I do feel the Razor looks far better than the Reef Breeders. but that does not factor into performance one bit! I give the performance edge to the Reef Breeders since it has more wattage. I would also expect more spread from the Reef Breeders as the LED's are spread out more.

The more I think about the Reef Breeders the more I have found myself recommending it to others. Basically, I criticized Orphek due to the outrageous price point and their dishonest sales techniques. I never doubted the power of the Orphek. The PAR was definitley there. I have more and more been looking at the Reef Breeders as bigger, better, more powerful Orphek that has a seemingly honest US representative backing the product.

I would say that if you can look at the two fixtures and still consider the Reef Breeders then the choice is easy, the Reef Breeders. If you think that the Razor's exterior has the look for you, choose the Razor. If you like your LED's spread out to give broad coverage like T5, choose the Reef Breeders. If you like your LEDs clustered to emulate point source lighting like Metal Halide, choose the Razor.

If I were you, I would also consider what would light those dimensions better. If I was picking from each company I would go with. You will also notice that with my choice due to coverage, price is no longer equal!

2 - Reef Breeders 32"

or

2 Maxspect Razor 20" with an additional Maxspect Razor 27" between them.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I'm going tomorrow to pick up local, an evergrow IT2080 which is what the reefbreeders fixture is. If Logan was local, I would absolutely purchase from him and this is the fixture I would go with if I were you.

7. R33FNuB

R33FNuB Astrea Snail

one of the problems i have been running into when trying to decide on a light is my tank only has a single brace right in the middle and it kinda limits how i can hang or place the lights over my tank

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

To me that is a major factor. Mkes the choice easier. Much easier!

10. R33FNuB

R33FNuB Astrea Snail

went ahead and pulled the trigger reefbreeders are ordered might be a lil while till there here 1-3 weeks now just to wait patiencely

11. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

yeah...like two lights easy!! lol

although I have been debating the same issue. different size tank but same light comparison. I have been thinking about getting one of each for a light-off!

12. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

With all things factored in, this seemed like the logical choice. The dimensions of the tank along with the center brace made the choice easy IMO!