Reef Angel: Open-Source Controller

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, May 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

He makes no money on support. He makes very little on the hardware at this level. Some people do actually do things not for moneys sake, but because they want to and like to. Chalk him up as one of those :D

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

Wow I planning on getting a RK for my 40 breeder but now I'm thinking about one of these.

The word "code" kind of scares me a little. I've done some HTML, but nothing like this...

4. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

I'm a big open source person and this is a great deal. Id like to see options for people that would exceed 8 plugs though. If there's a way to expand it id order it next month. Don't let code scare you, its just like reading once you get the hang of it. ;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

Gresham,

Maybe he would come on over and drop by 3reef sometime? - He sounds like a true enthusiast. I am VERY interested in this and it sounds like the interest is growing here with others as well.

:)

6. Nealio

Nealio Coral Banded Shrimp

If you've done HTML, I wouldn't be too afraid of this. It doesn't appear to be all that difficult. It's not anything like C# or Java. If this is anything like every other open source project i've worked on, you can throw your code up on a forum and they will help you with it.

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

folks you do not need to even know any code as it does come with a "demo" program that can handle much of what you'd want. The code itself is super easy and Roberto has made up a large library for you to cut and paste from :)

@OnefishTwofish... I'll invite him over :)

8. Click Here!

9. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

I can cut and paste all day. I'm hoping to order this in a few weeks!

10. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i don't think it was ever confirmed that the controller doesn't support 8+ it just doesn't appear so from the pictures in the manual.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I like the sound of this. I am looking at this or Aduino Duemlanivoea, which uses the "C" code, previously mentioned. I'd hook the Duemlanivoea up to a netbook. :) They would end up being about the same price for what I plan on doing. Though D would end up being more DIY rather than 'off-the-shelf', such as this Reef-Angel. Not set on either one yet.

12. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I have been researching the anduino side of things for a while now. I have found no way to go over 14 Digital outputs, and 6 Analog outputs per unit. This is if there is nothing taking those spots, such as a ATO, joystick, LCD screen, or whatever else is plugged in.

You can however link multiple units to increase the "controlling" power. I am just unsure if this particular programming of his will allow for this. This would also become unfeasible very quickly due to costs.

Of course this just my research in to it, not a proven fact. Hopefully, I am wrong.