Red slime.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jborlace, May 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I never seen any of my CUC actually remove/eat any of the stuff. I did once catch my Emerald crab steering it up in the sand bed, it looked like he was playing in it or trying to hide under it or something.

Mine has been growing through the same stage, but it's starting to look it's starting to lose it's hold. Doing pretty much th esame things you are.

2. Click Here!

3. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned. I was having the same problem on my sand. I bought 2 fighting conchs and they took care of it. They're little vacuum cleaners, way better than any Sand sifting stars.

4. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

Next week I'm ordering a hermit crab pack and next weekend going to some saltwater stores in Dallas. I was planning on getting a couple of those conch.

5. jborlace

This is what I'm dealing with. I scrubbed the rocks in the tank water I drained from my water change. Week and a half later it's back. Not as bad as it was but its pretty persistent. My crappy Coralife bulbs may not be helping either. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373067196.291674.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373067211.221186.jpg

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Are you sure it's cyano? It almost looks like red coralline....Maybe it's just the pic that's not picking up the stringiness (if that's even a word) or tuff that I've seen with other pics of cyano.

7. jborlace

It's never been stringy. Just red everywhere. On the rocks and the sand bed. It's a lot better than it was at first. Here are a few pics from when I realized what it was. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373081579.533454.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373081602.064888.jpg