Red slime.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jborlace, May 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I can certainly see why people rinse their frozen foods but I think of the "waste" as possible coral food so I don't do it. I do know a lot of people that do rinse and many of them are very successful reefers. To each his own, on this topic I guess

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I agree, and again, I really think it comes down to if you are having excess nutrient (N&P) problems. If you are then, thaw and rinse; if you aren't, then do as you please ;)

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

If your system has a way of exporting the phosphate and nitrate that frozen food has it wont really matter, but like Marshall said if the system is having water quality problems like the OP's I would recomend rinsing. No need to add more to the problem. Food like Rod's doesn't need rinsing as its not stored in water like myisis and other frozen food is.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I read a great article on reefbuilder about phosphates and frozen food. I no longer rinse my frozen now, just saying. The Law of Dilution is a powerful thing.

6. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I would like to find that article. I didn't know that. I rinse mine in a little tea thingy I stole from the kitchen.

7. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

I'll start feeding 1/2 cube a day. I always rinse with RO water first. I think this weekend during my weekly water change I'm going to rinse the rock in the old tank water and try and change up my aqua scape a little.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

10. jborlace

After my last WC I scrubbed all my rock in the old tank water. Redone my aquascape. Added some Phosguard to the HOB filter. Have cheato in one side and Phosguard in the other. Phosphates went from 0.25 to 0 in four days. But I can already see the red slime coming back on the rocks and sand bed. I still don't have a CUC but that's coming on the 10th next month when I get paid. Gotta get rid of my puffer first though. I'm lost. Don't really have a clue what to do next.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Try raising your Mag and ALK (pH if you are not testing ALK).

I have no scientific evidence to back it up, but I can tell you in my tanks if I let those values fall I see an increase in the growth of cyanobacteria.

Increase surface agitation if you can as well.

12. jborlace

Got my clean up crew coming next week. Not sure if it will help with the red slime but I've read they eat cyano. Phosphates are at 0 but my nitrates continue to hover around 10-20 ppm. Got about 90 snails coming.