Red slime.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jborlace, May 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leialittle

leialittle Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Get a couple Conches. Should help clean it up if that's the same stuff I'm thinking about that you have. Had the same thing. Put 2 in my 90 gallon and within a week they ate it up.

2. Click Here!

3. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

The whole rocks are covered in it. Siphon tube would be a very slow process. May use the tank water during my WC this weekend to scrub it in. I think my problem is high phosphates. Nitrates aren't that high and I've always used RO water. I ordered some Phosguard to run through my filter. Hopefully that will help. Got to be a reason why I have red slime and no corals will live in my tank but all my fish do fine. very frustrating.

4. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

I bought a turkey baster like thing today at Petsmart to help get the fish poop out. Biggest piece of crap I've ever bought. Hold down the bulb, let go and the poop siphons up then falls right back out every time. What's the trick ?

5. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

No trick really...just need a quality turkey baster

But cyano is a slime, so even if it is on your rocks a siphon tube would be the easiest and most used way of removing the algae

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I wouldn't think phosphates have anything to do with it since its technically a bacteria. In a 55 your always gonna have dead spots without flow. Take out tank water then put the rock in a bucket and you can literally shake it off. Its really not that big of an issue like hair algae. Red slime is really easy to remove. My 55 has 3 powerheads and I still get red slime in the dead spots. Its just the tank design. My 36 bowfront has never had slime. I've wasted money on red slime removers but nothing works like manual removal, super easy. Hope this helps.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I feel your pain. I have some resilient red slime in my tank. Im running 4 vortechs and its not a flow issue. I just siphon it out when I do changes. I bet phosgaurd will help

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

And FYI - if you are only feeding 1/2 a frozen cube every other day, I feel you may be actually underfeeding. I feed my 6 fish in my 55 1/2 cube every day. Make sure you are thawing them out & rinsing them in RO (or DI) water.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Marshall,
    I've heard of doing this, still can't really figure out why tough.

When I feed ny frozen food- I feed Limpits Reef Buffet. Mixture of alot of things and comes in a ziplock bag.
    I feed the frozen about once a week, O/W I feed New Life Spectrum Pellets- fish love that too.

I just break off some, cut/slice it up with a butterknife, and put it in slowly.
    The fish go wild over it.

I don't thaw, or wash, ?

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

It's not a cut and dry thing, but most experience reefers will tell you to thaw and rinse as I have to avoid introducing sources of nitrates and/or phosphates. You will find some very nice, established systems that do not thaw and rinse and have success. But for a newcomer, or someone having water quality issues, this should be a must until you get it under control IMO.

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I thaw my mysis shrimp cubes and rinse but I don't rinse my rods food because its all nutrition. The cubes that are frozen in crappy water like hikari and such I always thaw and rinse.