Red Slime Killing coral

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by telamont, Feb 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. telamont

telamont Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi I am new to the forums Im hoping I posted in the correct spot but i really need some help. I have a rock full of what I think are Yumas and there were originally 13 on the rock and now I have something like 7. They have slowly been being killed off by like a red mucus slime like material. It has been making its way from one yuma to the next. I tried cutting off a whole yuma that was infected and cleaning the rock with a toothbrush and some of the tank water but it was no use. The yumas are still dying. I hope this picture helps. Thanks any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Look up cyano.
    What are your params? phosphates, nitrates, are you using Ro/di water, finding the source of this algae.

4. telamont

usually 0 phosphate and nitrate and i do use rodi. should i try dosing chemi clean?
    I also have another coral which looks like its losing its green polyps and flesh in the top right picture of the coral. I dont know if this helps or is completely irrelevant. I also have some brown long slimy hair algae. I tried to get a pic of each.

Attached Files:

5. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

What kind of flow do you have? Your prob experiencing high nutrients. Got skimmer? High nutrients-low flow-phosphates= Cynobacteria. Chemiclean works great. I've experienced cyno growing on corals that are in poor shape or dying.

6. telamont

thank you for the help i think the high nutes may be it. I have a skimmer it really never fills though and sometimes i have it off at night. Ill try a dose of chemiclean and see how it works. hopefully it nukes the cyno and some of my yumas are saved.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Get a turkey baster and blast the cyano off your corals in the meantime to save them!