Red Slime Algea

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Midnight_Madman, Dec 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I'd say about 1,000 GPH. It's important for the circulation to be patterned so there are no dead spots as well.

2. Click Here!

3. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I know what your saying, but I dont think I can make that much flow ithout having like 4 or 6 powerheads in there. I have the return split into a v so it blowes in two directions and I have the two powerheads on each corner blowing downward towards the rocks... maybe I need more powerfull flow?

4. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

Craig is right, you have nitrates and phosphates coming from somewhere. You need to check your filters and clean out any sponges you may have. You can also check your skimmer to see if it is working properly. Unfortunately, that's the easily part. I would siphon out any slime of the sand bed and rocks, if possibly scrub the live rock lightly to remove the slime. While siphoning out the slime I would do a 20 to 30% water change bi-weekly. I know doing it this way could take days, weeks and sometimes months. As much as a pain it is, it does give the best results imo.

phil

5. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Should I clean out my skimmer box also? All my sponges prefilters etc. are cleaned weekly or more, but I never clean the actual box.
    I thought it may have been acting as a mini fuge in a way

6. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

To be on the safe side,I would. If your going to do it, might as well do it right, right?

phil

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Cyano is your friend. It is the best remover of nitrates and phosphates there is when siphoned out of the tank.