Red Sea test kits

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by verbal, Nov 30, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to put my 2 cents in about Red Sea test kits. I got one on sale (cheap). I'm not happy with it though. The alkalinity test doesn't give numbers, only low, normal, or high. The color matching for some tests (ie nitrite) is rough at best - I've done this test three times now and haven't come close to any of the colors on the card.
    I know I should just get the Salifert kits.
    Wondering if anyone likes the Red Sea tests, though.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

We used to use Red Sea kits at the store I worked at like ten years ago. Didn't seem to mind them then, but I sure hear a lot of people rip on them now.

I use SeaChem kits and don't have many complaints, they seem to work well. Although I am not the best at distinguishing colors.

I am too poor for Salifert kits. ::)

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I for one am red green color blind like most males are. (just different shades).
    I find most test kits colors don't match even when I get the wife to verify the color. It was so bad with pH testing I bought a life saving pH meter for 55 bucks that are now in the 30 dollar range if you look hard.

Out of all the tests I find red seas test the worst and not accurate. Like most people I am on a budget and Salifert is high dollar. If I need a test I now use Aquarium Systems test which are the easiest for me to read.

5. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Wow prices are high up in Canada!
    I have used a couple with no problem.
    On the pH tests I us a meter cause of the color blind thing and I get accurate readings which is the biggest plus in my book.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I generally use Salifert tests. But for Ammonia I use Hagen. The colour change from 0.00 to 0.03 is greater with the Hagen. As for price I wouldn't shop at Big Als if it were the last store in Canada.
    Our best online store (and it happens to be local is www.jlaquatics.com

They are great

J

8. Click Here!

9. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

I have been useing Aquarium Pharmaceuticals saltwater master liquid test kit (not real happy with it, but with limited funds)