Red Sea Sailfin Checking out???

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by RemickJ, Dec 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hey Guys and Gals,

My Red Sea Sailfin came down with a case of ick days after I put him in the tank a week ago. today he looked pale and spots were plentiful. Now tonight with only the moonlights on he/she is hanging up close to the overflow box near the surface. IME This is the begining of the end when a fish does this.. Sould I take him out? Shame he was a really good looking fish.

Params are as follows

Temp - 80.3
    PH- 8.21
    ORP- 320
    Nitrates - 5
    Nitrites - 0
    Ammonia - 0
    KH - 215
    Calcium - 560 (is this way to high???)
    Salinity 1.023

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. hultink

hultink Plankton

Sorry to hear man when did you get him?

1 person likes this.
  4. Trigger Man

Trigger Man Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Always sucks when a fish is not looking so good. Can you get the sailfin into a QT tank? You can then add a copper treatment. I recommend No sick fish Ick remover, I've used it on a few tangs when they were introduced into my display tank and had ick, and so far it has always worked and is reef safe.
    Good luck. As well your Calcium reading lists really high, if it is really that amount it would most likely look like it's snowing in your tank, so I would re test it with another test kit. Your KH (I think you meant 2.15, not 215)is a little low for good coral growth.

1 person likes this.
  5. RemickJ

I got him a little over a week ago. I can get him in to a QT tank and treat with copper, I was just wondering what you guys thought about moving him. Sometimes that puts more stress on the fish then just leaving him in place and allowing nature to take its course. It's time for a water change so I could get my QT tank up and going.. What do you think.. Time to move him?

6. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Well, Otherwise is he still eating a lot?

1 person likes this.
  7. RemickJ

He is still eating- Eating Romaine- and picking off the rocks. Will also eat formula B when given. Right now I am soaking food in garlic and Kent Marine Zoe. I also put Vitamin C in the tank daily as recomended on the bottle.

8. Click Here!

9. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

would you be able to keep neon gobies? they do wonders for tangs and other fish. i got a yellow tang once from a friend had little black dots all over it. having it in a sick tank i put in 2 N gobies with it and within no time at all they had it cleared up. ruffly 2 weeks they where gone but i waited 3 to make sure and he was added to my main tank

1 person likes this.
  10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

If its Ick and your dosing garlic and Vit. C, he'll come around. As long as he keeps on eating, he should come out fine. If its possible, either keep the lights off for a couple of days(no corals) or cut back the time you have them on. You have nothing to lose. Luna

1 person likes this.
  11. RemickJ

Just an update-- I lost the little guy this morning. Woke up to him spooning the powerhead.. Lesson learned- I have not had much luck buying juvenile fish. Nothing diferent here. He was smaller and could not take the stress of his jurney from the sea to my tank. Shame he was a really good looking fish....