Red Sea NoPox

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by nicodim55, Jan 30, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

I am dosing the recommended dosage. 20ml for a 150g tank I lowered it to 10ml then up it to 12ml currently.

2. Click Here!

3. nicodim55

Just your normal green algae that grows on the front panel

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

theoretically, it's supposed to reduce the nitrates by the percentage of water changes. It just sounds like yours is so systemic, that it's not moving. what does the nopox recommend in terms of water changes?

you posted just at the same time I did lol - well, if it says 20 and you are at 12, that's not the recommended dosage correct?

5. nicodim55

Just your normal green algae that grows on the front panel

6. nicodim55

It doesn't say anything about water changes

7. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Nitrates bind with stuff. It gets trapped in rock, it gets trapped in gravel, in detritus, in all sorts of places. When you have way too much your tank builds up storage, like a battery. Every time you do a water change and lower it, some gets sucked back out of the battery and into the water. Until you deplete that battery, you will not see appreciable lowering. Both carbon dosing and water changes work (presuming your skimmer is working). Keep dosing the carbon and one day, possibly months from now, you'll start seeing sudden declines.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Fish are dirty/filthy animals.lol
    Lowering your bioload is really the fastest way.;)

10. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Looks like you could up the dosing a bit. Per their instructions where nitrates are greater than 10 dose 3 ml per 25 gal. With that you should be dosing 18ml a day. Are you adding this to your sump or display?

11. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Microbacter7 has ammonia and nitrate values which you are adding to your system with each dose. This article has a bunch of info on that product.

I know with carbon dosing you don't see any results until the bacteria builds up enough to start lowering the nitrates and usually takes quite a bit for it to build up which if you ramp up too quickly you get the cloudy water or bloom. I imagine the NoPox works similarly. So long as the Nitrates increasing in your tank is slowing down I would say it is working.

And always remember you don't want a rapid change anyway. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.

12. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

I wonder if microbacter7 and nopox are fighting each other and that is why you are not seeing a decrease. I would stop using microbacter7 and just dose nopox. Like others have said it is going to take time. By the way, how old is your tank?

mdbostwick likes this.