Red Sea NoPox

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by nicodim55, Jan 30, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I would get some beneficial bacteria going first. Something like Zeobak or prodibio digest.
    Then slowly start up the nopox.
    Do you have any cyano, slime or algae?

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

that is very weird that you're not seeing a reduction in nitrates with the large water changes. However, I'm wondering if you're actually removing the nopox during the change and thus it doesn't have a chance to work on the nitrates? Vinny's question is a good one, because (I hope I have this right) you need some phosphate for nitrate reducers to work. I might suggest that you back off on water changes and let the nopox do its thing. As others were saying - it could take up to 4-6 weeks to see a reduction - I also agree with av8 that adding some beneficial bacteria might be helpful as well.

I would try to follow the directions as closely as you can (I've not used nopox) so I don't know what it recommends in terms of water changes. Test your phosphate - add in some beneficial bacteria (I like microbacter7) and give it some time. as av8 asked, do you have visible algae, if so, you have phosphate even if your test kit doesn't register it but it would be a good number to know. If your livestock look ok, then there's not an emergency in terms of reducing nitrates. Believe me when I say 60 isn't awful.

4. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Honestly I don't think its weird at all. It means you have a lot of nitrate sequestered in your system. As you lower the level in the water, more comes in.

You have to be patient. It can take months for carbon and/or water changes to exhaust the reserves. It will.

5. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

yes it's at 1.5ppm

6. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

How much nopox are you dosing a day?

7. nicodim55

I am using Microbacter7 in conjunction with the NoPox as someone suggested to me.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

do you have a lot of visible algae?

10. nicodim55

I have 1.0 phos and I have visible algae only your normal green ones that grow on the front panel, I have a small patch of cyano on the sand when I say small it's about 2" lipsticks are happy except for my Goni which is always difficult to keep happy.

11. nicodim55

I do have a lot of Nitrates 80ppm to be exact. I don'y get it, doesn't water changes supposed to lower Nitrates not increase it or be stagnant?

12. oldfishkeeper

I also wanted to add to not compare your system to others - your system is unique and it sounds like you have a heavy fish bioload. Other tanks that saw a quick reduction could have so many other factors going on that made that possible. Hang in there! If you follow the directions and practice good husbandry, you will eventually see them come down.