Red planet coloration

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Magnett2, Jul 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

So I've had a frag for a while now. It appears healthy with lots of horizontal growth and really good PE. It used to be very green with the red polyps. As I moved it closer and closer to the spot I want it it has changed color. It's probably like 5 inches from the surface with another like 14 inches away from the 150w. The green has faded, as expected, but it seems to be getting more of a light brown. I can't really tell though. It almost seems like it's bleaching but I don't really think it is. Are there and zooxanthellae experts? I'm thinking maybe it's still transitioning to the red color.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It is turning brown because it is not getting enough light. Move it toward the top to get more red. The green should return also depending on how high you place it.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Just to be more specific, I've found that the green shows more when it is placed lower in the tank. I have a frag on the sandbed that's nearly all green, while the one near the top of the tank lost nearly all of its green coloration and is just red.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

It sounds like it is light brown, not a dark brown? Dark brown indicates what 2in10 suggested, but that seems unlikely if it's that close to the top already. If it is a very pale brown, then it is more likely something effecting the pigmentation. Are you carbon dosing, or using biopellets? When pink/red pigments fade to a very pale brown, this usually indicates a potassium deficiency or could indicate metal toxicity, as some metals bind to red pigments and essentially deactivate them. Sometimes running a polly filter, or increasing your organic load can help in that case.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  6. Magnett2

Yeah, light brown. The polyps look red. It never really was red/pink when I got it. It was pretty much green. I don't mind if the green doesn't come back.

So the green faded to a brown. The very tips are pink but it's a small amount. How would I know if there is a K+ deficiency or HM tox? I have other acros that have colored up. Nothing else has lost it's color at all. That's why I was wondering if it was just transitioning. I would hope that it's getting enough light lol.

7. Magnett2

Carbon dosing as in using chemi-pure elite? I run that. I don't have pellets.

Params

Amo 0
    Temp 80-82
    Trates, trites, phos 0
    Ph 8.2
    Kh 10dkh
    Calc 420
    I don't have mag though.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Do you have other red corals? It is the red pigments that are most effected.

Potassium test kits aren't very good unfortunately. I think R.H.F did some testing and while not great this one will let you know if you are extremely low.
    Fauna Marin Direct

Usually potassium isn't readily depleted though, although it can be if your salt is low in it for example. Or you are using zoevit, as the media can bind potassium.

As to metals, again salt is a big input. Most metals bind to organics though, so, there likely needs to be insufficient organics to bind them.
    If you are running aggressive chemi-pure, this could bind a lot of organics and result in increased bio-available metals. This seems unlikely though, it is more likely with aggressive carbon dosing, plus other aggressive filtration.

Do you have a pic? And what salt are you using?

10. Magnett2

I use reef crystals. I have been using the same chemi-pure bag for a long time. Lol my tank might be slightly over stocked so organics I'm sure are available in enough time to bind before the skimmer pulls it out. I would hope that RCs dont have heavy metals. I think the only other thing that I have that's red is the acan which looks great. I don't have a pic right now though. So now what?

11. Magnett2

12. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Tough to say without seeing it, or at least seeing a picture. Based on what you've said, I'd guess either adapting to the lighting, or light shock. There is a difference though. The best I could say is if it continues to get lighter, you will probably want to move it down lower, away from the light. If it maintains it's color, assuming it has some color, then you may leave it to see if it darkens up. Can be tricky to tell in person though, never mind just from a description....