Red Planet (1-24-14 growth pics)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Kevin_E, Sep 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

It's been encrusting for almost 3 months to the day and has finally taken over the plug and grown down it slightly.

I noticed a white dot the other day and it is more pronounced now. It's definately a new branch and I hope many more follow soon after; and quickly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Excellent. They always grow off at an angle, it's weird.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. Not as good as it could though. It was BRIGHT red when I took it off of the mother colony. t was nice and green a couple weeks ago and was getting red tips again, but I had a setback with phosphates that browned it out again.

[​IMG]

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Probably easier for it to table that way. Although, some wild tabling acros seem to grow a vertical stalk before tabling. Who knows.

I believe I see two more white spots towards the end of the tips closest t the pictures. I hope so anyways.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

A little concerned with the color. It's light brown and doesn't seem to want to color up any. I am wondering if it is too low in the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

250 watt metal halide. Phoenix bulb.

11. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I've always had issues with Red Planet. It's one of the few Acro's that I just cannot keep colored up, or alive. I just got a frag a couple weeks ago, and am giving it another shot. Mine came in a pale peach color with red/pink coralites. Now, it has a darker body (still not green), with less pink at the coralites. Great PE, and it has grown all around the cut portion of the frag since introduction. Keep at it, and hopefully it'll come around.

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yeah, mine was showing hints of green before washing out again. The only time it every showed red was when I first introduces it. I would estimate the frag to be 15-20" below the light. (closer to 20). It's fully encrusted the frag plug and has begun to creep down the side of the plug towards the rock work. The only growth I saw was the white branch I noted above that stopped growing a day or 3 after I posted this thread.

I have reds and pinks in my birdsnest and montis and greens in my some of my other SPS and LPS.