Unresolved Red, mushy (But firm), stone shaped stuff???

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by JJL, Jul 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

You're welcome. :)

BTW, the best match I could find on species is either Jaspis stellifera (Mound Sponge) or Axinyssa ambrosia (Knot Sponge). Both are known hitchhikers.

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

They came back. What are they? I dont think they are sponges because I exposed them to air for a while.

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Kind of looks like bubble algae to me....

5. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Its definately not bubble algae. It has a liquidy substance inside.

6. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Then it is bubble algae. When you pop the bubbles there is liquidy slimy stuff in it.

7. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Really? It seems too tough to be bubble algae, but maybe im wrong. Can I do anything to get rid of it besides putting a crab in?

8. Click Here!

9. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

take the infected rock etc out (if possible) and scrub/scrape everything rinse very well and put back in tank

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

The best bet would be to get a sally lightfoot crab. IME these work MUCH better than mithrax crabs for removing larger red bubbles like you seem to have. Plus they will come out of rock to eat it and look kinda cool.
    If you do not want to add a crab then I would grab a very sharp razor and section the foot or cut right at the base. Do not pop them, or you will have a really big problem after a few weeks. (Think bubble algae overtake apocalypse)
    I would only remove rock in an emergency as this will leave residue and the osmotic shock might kill some stuff growing. Plus it seems like your corals are attached to them. However seeing as this is an overflow, you might be able to remove it for a bit.

11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

12. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

It looks kind of like this. Thanks for the advice, but im not ready to take action until I know for sure what this is.