Red montipora capricornus

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by paintball7, Mar 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Man I tried with a razor blade first, by the end of the adventure I was short on patience and heading for my sawzall :furious2::furious2: until I came to my senses:idea2::idea2: ..... I guess I just gave up... "I am now hanging my head in shame..." :cry::cry::cry:

2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

4. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

cut them w/razor or try to chisel? my other tank is sps and all i do w/that is snap and glue softies are new to me as far as trying to frag them

5. pwoller

pwoller Spaghetti Worm

Mushrooms are hard to get to stick. I found that bridal veil material over them and a peice of live rock worked best. Just leave them be for a couple of weeks. I have also put frags into small tupperware with the veil material over it and rubble in the bottom. That worked too.

6. paintball7

paintball7 Feather Duster

ollie..........thats what i did i cut them at the base with a razor blade

baugherb.......cut them at the base with a razor blade if u want smaller mushroooms (i neve did this saw it in a video on you tube) u can then cut them like pizza but make shure u get a piece of the mouth on each piece
    I JSUT CANT GET THEM TO STICK!!!!!! NOW THEY ARE IN PLACES IN MY TANK AND I CANT Find THEM

this guy will let u know ...........

YouTube - Fun With Fragging: Mushrooms

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  7. Symbiotic

Symbiotic Plankton

Any one care if I step in and ask a question (newbie here). I got both green and red monti's on plugs, but the plugs seem kinda ungly and I was wondering if I could cut the monit's off before mounting on a side of a rock - they appeared superglued in a couple of spots - thnks

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I have a bunch of monti's in my tank... I would suggest leaving them if you can. My monti has over grown the rock it was on when I first got it. Eventually you won't even see it.... If the frag is large evough, I guess you could break it off and put it on another rock.. Let me see if I can find my example to show you!!!! My monti is in the left hand upper side of the first pic....

[img=http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5552/picture353fu9.th.jpg]
    [img=http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/6441/picture533yg0.th.jpg]

10. paintball7

paintball7 Feather Duster

hey idk if u could do this but my plug on a piece of my coral is really long and i was thinking of just cutting the plug down in size so its more like a disk................just an idea dont know if it works havent done it yet?

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Give it a try and let us know how it works....

12. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

i also have green and red monti caps and while cleaning and working in the tank have broken pieces the size of a 9 ball and all i did was glue it down and in a few cases i just wedged it back into the main coral and all re incrusted and are growing fine wouldnt mind getting ridof a few pieces anyone near NY interested ?sell or trade some of the extra pieces are real nice baseball size and smaller