red hair alge? Cyno?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by new2salt2, Jun 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Take a pic my friend. But the two are completely different. It is typical that some red or brown algae grow on the outlet of the filter.

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i did i posted it on the homepage but it's not that good but it works i think.

4. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

i just cleaned my prisim skimmer and found a bunch of brown and red hair alge. the cyno i have is more of a slime. i have been doing maintenance on the water and its getting better. My wife got tired of looking at it, she thinks the tank is ugly anyway, and went out and bought some slime remover. not sure if am gonna use it as my cyno is now almost gone

5. hottielover14

how do u know if it's red hair algae, cyno, or coralline algae.

6. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Cyano looks like slimey goo. It comes in many colors. The only way slime will gather bubbles is if you have alot of bubbles going into the main tank. Get something and suck the slime out. Then get some flow in the area where it wants to grow. See if this helps.

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

hottielover14

the red slime will move very easily if you wave your hand over it and will come up and pull apart, if its corraline its calcium based and will be very hard to scrape off the glass almost like a hard crust

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

yeah so i think mines coralline. Its red and it's growing in patches so far.

10. hottielover14

i have some red hair algae on my LR. do i just scrape it in my tank off or in a bucket.

11. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

I go with the chemicals.... and removing any nitrates..... most important if you use the oxidizing chemicals is to ensure you don't over do it and you fix the problem.... make sure flow hits all of the rocks. Don't have rock built up to prevent flow from getting in there.

I used the cheap old pond fix from Petco to remove my hair algae and built up gunk.... worked great, fast and the algae never came back.