Red/green colorblind GH test kits?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by ragc, May 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

I can't see the color change in the Tetra brand GH kit. In my cichlid water, my SW KH kit starts in the yellow (it's changes from blue to tellow in SW) so it's useless in my cichlid tank. Does anyone make a GH test that relies on different colors than red/green? uses no colors?

Seriously, we colorblind people are being totally ignored by aquarium test and by electronic LED bulb manufacturers! I am seriously considering a boycot of red and green stuff... :mad:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hmm. Well you can take a pic of them and post. We can tell you what color it is. :)

Karma for Color Blind People Who Aquarium Test Makers Ignore.

4. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

I appreciate the offer, Bruce. Based on the lack of response on three different websites (yours is the only one) I guess all GH test kits rely on green/red change. I will try to post pictures when I test this weekend.

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

have you tried aquarium pharmicuticles gh/kh test kit? it starts out blue and you count the drops till it turns yellow maby that one would work for ya that one can be used for frresh or saltwater

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Humm, that has never crossed my mind. Manufacturers really should take into consideration the many thousands and thousands of color blind people. Perhaps you can e-mail some manufacturers and they could consider your concern with their products. ;D

7. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

The Tetra KH test is blue/yellow, but their GH is red/green or green/red (can't even tell that!). Is the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals one test or is it two separate tests, and if so, is the GH red/green like the Tetra test?

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

the aquarium pharmicuticles is one test and only one solution used for the test

10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I got a solution. Stop testing. GH isn't real important. I bred FW fish before making the SW jump. Most fish don't need any specfic range. Despite what the aquamium chemical companies want think. I bred Discus in pH 8 GH 300ppm water. Inspite of going completely against the grain of the dogma of Discus keeping the fish had no problem with it.

For FW I would use what ever GH comes out of the tap and not monkey with it.

Fish are better off at a constant level rather than a roller coast GH level as you test adjust test adjust test.

The fish will be happier and you'll save money.

11. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

I have been doing that, Covey! In fact, my little 10 gal SW gets tested about every 2 weeks now, and instead of the 10 different tests I used to run every week, most of the time I test only for pH and Alk! I haven't tested anything in the cichlid 30gal in a long time, and I just had a batch of fry!

;D