Red carnation coral

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by NittyGritty, Mar 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

What are your thoughts? Really that difficult to keep? Tips on keeping etc...

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

They definitely do better in a NPS (Non-Photosynthetic) tank. They require TONS of food daily yet they don't like dirty water with high nitrates. It is definitely a challenging, yet rewarding, coral to keep.

I'm working with one right now and I'm using numerous different foods on a regular basis. However, this also necessitates frequent water changes.

PS.....I moved your thread to the NPS coral forum.

4. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

What is the food schedule and water change schedule you are on?

5. ScottsTanks

ScottsTanks Flamingo Tongue

6. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

they are beautiful corals, but very difficult to keep but if youve got your heart set on it i dont see any reason you couldnt try.

7. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

I have one carnation coral in my tank which I have had for over 2 years. I feed it 1 or 2 times a week with either TM Pro-Coral Phyton and Pro-Coral Zooton. I will also occasionally feed oyster eggs and live baby brine shrimp every . I recall reading in Reef Aquarium vol. 2 that a European hobbyist had great success keeping carnation corals by stirring up his sand bed, causing the detritus to become suspended in the water

8. Click Here!

9. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

this must be a different coral, the true carnation coral needs a constant supply of food to stay thriving nearly. it requires feeding several times a day to stay alive. hence why many find it so difficult to care for.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Carnation corals are often miss labeled , if this is a true NPS corals, it's in the corals best interest to look at Inwall's last thread addressing the needs of NPS corals.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/nps-corals/nps-keepers-what-some-your-observations-131567.html

Water quality can be compromised quickly for those corals requiring pristine water conditions such as sps or sensitive lps. If you can not meet the nutritional needs of this coral without compromising your stony corals it's a lesson in frustration.

Of course it's all a mote point until you have a definitive ID, with that said tank size plays an important part in balancing the dietary needs of the corals and the your desired water quality.