Red Algae Woes!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Brandon1023, Apr 27, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Ok so I have searched the forums here, and googled, and I feel like I am doing the right things to try and control this algae. It's the red slime, cynobacteria. I use only RO/DI water from my LFS, have a phosphate sponge, a power head on each side of the tank providing current, my single bulb PC fixture is on 12 hours, and my dual bulb PC is on for 10. I don't feed too much. My tang grazes my hair algae, and they all eat live blood worms. The blood worms are squirted in little by little, to make sure they all get gobbled. My main shortcoming is my clean up crew. It is pretty much nonexistent....yeah. There might be a snail in there, and a small crab or two, but they have all seemingly disappeared. Until I have money again and can buy a CUC, what should I do? I have read that this red slime, or cynobacteria or whatever will run it's course and go away? How long does that take? Oye!

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Cyanobacteria "running its course" is normal in newer tanks but not in established/mature ones.

Have you tested the store bought RO/DI water for nitrates and such? Is the cyano growing in an area that the powerheads are not hitting?

4. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I haven't tested the store bought RO/DI, I trusted that it was clean water. That's something to consider, but I used it all up for now, until my next trip. I don't have a phosphate test, but I do have 2 different nitrate tests. One is a strip, and the other is some tablets that dissolve and the water changes color to indicate nitrates. Both come up undetectable every time. Yea there are some places that the powerheads just cant hit, like directly beneath each one, and on some of the gravel. So whats my next move?

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well. There is a product I used in the beginning when i had red slime. I is called Red Slime Algae Remover. Great stuff.

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Is it reef safe? It wont harm my corals?

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Yup, reef safe. All of my coral were fine after.

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Bruce is trying to get a sponsorship from UltraLife. haha. Be careful, they might make the skimmer overfizz.

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Lol...so many people ask about red algae, and that product worked wonderful for me...but yes it does make the skimmer make bubbles ^^ i turn if off for a few hours. lol

11. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Yes, thats the wonder powder! Lol...my uncle used some for his new tank. Took care of his red algae too ^^