Red Algae popping up every where

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bderos, Feb 18, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bderos

bderos Astrea Snail

I have red algae popping up all over my live rock. Does this my nitrates are out of wack?

2. Click Here!

3. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

yes probably nitrates check your water flow , or could be too much light :)

4. bderos

bderos Astrea Snail

My lights are on for 10 hours a day. Is the only way to lower the nitrates is by doing water changes? If so, should I change the water weekly? My tank is 48'' x 10". I think I have enough flow. I have a return at one coner and a power head at the other end of the tank.

5. mattgeezer

sometimes if water flo isnt getting around underneath live rock detrius build up can happen . causing nirates and yes constant small water changes also can lower them as well

hope this helps
    matt:)

6. bderos

bderos Astrea Snail

Thanks for the advice. Can high nitrates be harmful to coarls or the fish?

7. mattgeezer

how big is you tank in gal ?? yes nitrates can kill

8. Click Here!

9. bderos

bderos Astrea Snail

My nitrates are at 20. My tank is 65 gallons. My phosphates are a little high too.

1 person likes this.
  10. mattgeezer

what sort of water are you using tap or R/O? how do you prepare your salt mix . airstone , dechlorinator , heater etc?? test ph , and salinity make sure your new water is the same temp as the tank to minimise stress on the critters .

to get nitrates down to least 10 you can do a couple of water changes ie one every 2 - 3 days , dont do too much at once as youll stress out your livestock and death could come .

you could use some nitrate sponge to get them down more as well ..or a denitrifing coil (a diy version is in 3reef articles ) check it out .

I use this stuff called stress zyme ,dont know if many people use it here but i have used for a couple of years with no baddness ..:)

now the phosphate you can buy this stuff called phos sponge (similar to the nitrate sponge.. i swear by it :) ) anyways... you get one ladies stocking must be new put the sponge media inside it then put in your fuge or water flow for a week or 2 . it should bring down the levels .

the key to keeping nitrates and phosphates down is all in the way you prepare your top up water / and weekly change!!?

hope this helps
    :) matt

11. bderos

bderos Astrea Snail

thanks mattgeezer. i use RO water and prepare my own salt water. never really had a problem until i started feeding my kole tang daily with a block of formula two food for algae feeders. im kinda of thinking this might be my problem but im not sure what to do about keeping my kole tang healthy, fat and happy.

12. mattgeezer

thats it watch the food .. dont overfeed . i use mysis shrimp(brine shrimp) and the water that they freeze with can contain nitrates and phosphates !!!;)

ive heard romaine lettuce is good for tangs !!!??

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
    1 person likes this.