Red algae co-insides with caulerpa death?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Dustin75, Jan 21, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Chemi-clean works well for Cyano. Is reef safe also.

Todd

2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

I think what craig said might be your problem if all the other stuff didn't happen.Did your water get cloudy?

4. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

I don't know if the water got cloudy when the caulerpa died for I was at work and then I got home I saw what had happened, but by then the water was clear. When the caulerpa died how long would it have stayed cloudy? Also is the light supposted to be on all the time? Or is that just with grape caulera? Thanks for the input everyone!

5. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

What I have been told and read several times is that Caulerpa needs the 24/7 lighting to keep it from going sexual on you. I have had mine on 24/7 after the initial bout of reversing the lights from the tank. My caulerpa went sexual and I had a large breakout of cyano and hair algae. I am still fighting the hair to date. Not a fun battle.

Just my .02

T

6. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Sounds like your calurpa was starting to go sexual and the cyano was johnny on the spot. When it goes sexula it basically releases all the nutrient and toxins that are bound up in it, Once it started the cyano formed to take advantage of it.
    Calurpa is really not a good idea as a macro in a reef tank, not only for the reason you are going through but it is a toxic critter that secretes all sorts of nasties including growth inhibitors. If you want to use an algae look to Chaetomorpha, its a lot more user friendly.

Mike

7. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

I had some cheto with the caulerpa, but I think the caulerpa secreted some growth inhibitors, like you mentioned. Now that I no longer have the caulerpa I am going to try to find some cheto again, but it is hard to find around here and its expensive to get shipped from what I seen on e-bay. Thanks for your input!

8. Click Here!

9. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Its always a bad idea to mix algaes, specially calcurpas, thier toxin secretion goes off the scale when thier is compitition.

Mike