Red Algae? all over my tank!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Nikon Samurai, May 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nikon Samurai

Nikon Samurai Bristle Worm

Thanks UncleJed, I figured that's what it was. I was hoping there was an alternative to having surface motion. I pointed the 2 maxi jet 1200's with prop mods straight up. The surface is boiling now, just enough to it dosn't spill over. I didn't do this before because i was worried about salt creep. If it must be done ... salt creep is a reef keepers demon i guess.

Thank you for the advice!

2. Click Here!

3. Nikon Samurai

I wouldn't want to put American news papers in my tank. The ink contains toxins. In landscaping you use newspapers under your weed control fabric or in place of the fabric because the ink kills insect larva and keeps insects away from your flower bed. I would be afraid the toxins in the ink would leech into the water? If anyone else can touch on this i would appreciate the knowledge.

4. Nikon Samurai

I don't think i will ever reach the point of putting chemicals in my tank. I have 2 tanks so for me i'd rather just ride it out. It seems flow and high nitrates and phosphates are the villins based on what i've read and other reefers have commented on here. I didn't post this above but just before all this started happening i did turn the flow down a little on my returns because the noise was killing me. I had forgotten about it until someone on here below posted about flow being a possibility.

5. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

My cyano problem was caused by my aging actinic bulbs. I cut the actinics and the problem went away. Replaced the bulbs and it's beginning to get under control. I've also ordered a new skimmer but it's taking FOREVER to get it shipped.

6. Nikon Samurai

not coraline

I thought the red was coraline too at first. Then i noticed it's getting hairy. Now's it's fuzzy. If the nitrates and photosphates were up so high it would cause my coral to gasp and my snails to die how can the fish be doing so well? The fish actually have really good color with no signs of ick or any negativity. My coral shrimp is vibrant red like it just had an iodine bath. When my other tank had a spike the first thing to go was the fish ... this time it was all backwards. Any ideas?

7. Nikon Samurai

Ohhh k!

Now we're talking. I thought that might be the problem or atleast a good part of it. I think my bloom came from decreasing the flow and having an aged bulb at the same time along with cutting my chaeto back to much and bumping a rock in my sump which caused a nitrate spike. I have 2 new 65w compacts coming with a UV sterializer. I put 2 new bulbs in the fixture 2 months ago but the other 2 have been in since i purchased the tank several months ago. I can easily see the difference. What about metal halides? Do they cause algae blooms when they get old or is it just the blues? I know the Kalvin temperatures are lower with aged bulbs but on a 10000k 250w MH bulb would it be enough to cause a bloom as well?

8. Click Here!

9. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

good luck hope u get it out im ready to take a hammer to my glass lol

10. Nikon Samurai

I can definitely understand that. The only thing i can come up with is lighting. The CF bulbs went in today. The Mh bulbs will be in next week so i'll post the results again a week or so after that.

11. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

I am fighting the same fight. but my parameters are at 0... THe newest thing is the sump and I think that the new sand and live rock in it may have created a cycle spike.....Sound normal to me... I also stopped using treated tap water ( another factor) and am using Distilled water for a couple weeks for top offs and my weekly water change.

Last edited: May 20, 2009