Recycling sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by jokaz82, Oct 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jokaz82

jokaz82 Fire Worm

I have 2 tanks. one with white sand (FOLR) and the other with black(reef). I was told that it'd be a good idea to change my sand out. Well, since i don't want to spring for new sand I figured that I'd just clean them with fresh water a few times then switch them out. Wouldn't be difficult, just need a few more buckets. What do y'all think? Has any of you ever done this?

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

how long has the sand been in the tanks? I feel like removing it all might cause the release of toxic gasses that built up over time.

4. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

So. You have running tanks and someone told you to change out the sand? Smack them. Hard.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 110%

6. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

There has to be more to it. Are you moving soon? Upgrading to a bigger tank? Something?

7. the glass guy

the glass guy Flamingo Tongue

Was gonna ask the same thingi am upgrading but the sand is only about a month and a half old

8. Click Here!

9. jokaz82

jokaz82 Fire Worm

We are moving. He said it was a good thing to do. So is washing old sand a good idea.

10. sim1killa

sim1killa Astrea Snail

Don't be cheap....

If you move your tank and its been set up for say 6+months toss the old sand. its to much work to clean out and you don't want to be messing with sand when you have $1000+ in live stock sitting in buckets.

if you do rinse sand make sure you drain all water and remove all live stock prior to disturbing the sand.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

^pretty much. Depends though on the size of the tanks though and it's a lot of work to clean the sand from large tanks.

New sand is worth the investment.

12. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

I run a bare bottom tank and couldn't be happier. Do not reuse substrate from a move unless you thoroughly clean it. NOT worth the effort IMO. New sand or no sand would be my vote.