Recommendation Requested - Return and Circulation Pumps

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by PharmrJohn, Mar 15, 2019.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Things have changed. My tank died somewhere around 2010, I'm just now getting things out of mothballs and am in the replacement of equipment phase.

So.......pumps have changed. Bluetooth was a only a dream back in those days. I see some waaay cool things on the market now. I am outfitting a 90G and looking at the old number of 4500 for a flow rate. I'll be needing a return pump (TBD --- It used to be a RIO 2100), most likely a Mag 9.5 with my skimmer (only because I know it worked before) and a host of circulation pumps (TBD). This'll be a reef tank eventually. I read something today about copper as a part of some pump manufacturing. I don't remember this being a concern back then, but I could be having a senior moment. Corals seemed to do fine with what I had though.

So. I need input. I knew my stuff back in the day, but for the time-being I need to be treated like a newb. I have forgotten so much, What I need are three recommendations. I need a return pump that's not a RIO 2100, any comments to alternatives/concerns with the Mag 9.5 (going to run an old school ETSS skimmer) and options with circulation pumps.

I'll have questions in the future with everything else, but this is a good place to start......:)

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Bump. Had a conversation regarding the old HK pumps (my old circulation pumps) and they are outdated. Been looking at Chinese knockoffs and understand they are great for some and nightmares for others (Jaebo???). Again, just bumping the post. I want real-time recommendations as to what others are running on all fronts and their experiences with such.