Recommendation for a protein skimmer

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by rahsaan12000, Aug 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rahsaan12000

rahsaan12000 Plankton

Hi All,

This is my 1st post. I've recently set up my 1st reef tank a little over two months ago, my 1st saltwater tank was a 45 gal FOWLR tank 2 years ago. My reef tank now is an 80 gal Euro bowfront custom, stand&canopy, tank has 2.5 in deep live sand bed, 90 lbs live rock, Hamilton retrofit kit 2x175 watt MH / actinics dual (460/420) 1x96 watt PC & 1x65 watt PC, 20 gal refugium w/macroalgae/4 in deep live sand bed, mag 7 return pump. 1 juvenile Blue Hippo Tang. Reef cleaner crew consist of snails & blue legged hermit crabs and.

My tank was up and running with live rock and no fish for about 7 weeks before adding the tang, I've had the fish for 2 weeks and all is good :).

I'm looking to buy a protein skimmer in the next week or two. Due to the need to conserve on space I prefer an in-sump skimmer with a compact foot print. My second choice would be a skimmer that can stand on top of my sump, a buddy of mine has one like this, it's a Red Sea skimmer, he's had it for sometime and doesn't know the model anymore. Any skimmer recommendations are appreciated. I would like to purchase a descent or better model skimmer so that I won't need to upgrade in the future, I plan on adding LPS and SPS corals over time in the future.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

WELCOME TO 3REEF

Have you looked at the ASM g-1X in sump skimmer? It's a Euroreef knock-off

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Welcome to 3reef. Sounds like you have a nice set up. I wonder how I would be able to see it.......Hmmmmmmm..........Oh yeah. PICS!!!!!!!!!

Pics pics pics pics......Lots of pics.

5. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

Octopus makes lower cost skimmers that does a better than average job keeping your tank clean. I use a Myreef creations MR3 skimmer it does well for me. You would not need that large of a skimmer for your system though.
    Some cheap advice buy the best skimmer that you can they play a very important part in keeping hard corals alive.

6. papareef

papareef Feather Duster

skimmer

Euroreef rs100..can't go wrong with a euro :)

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

whatever you get get a needle wheel skimmer.

8. Click Here!

9. rahsaan12000

rahsaan12000 Plankton

Thanks for the feedback. I'll upload pics of my tank soon.

10. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

what ever you do DONT BUY A SEACLONE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

11. rahsaan12000

rahsaan12000 Plankton

Someone recommended SeaStorm Protein Skimmers by SeaLife Systems, does anyone know if these are good skimmers?

Sealife Systems SeaStorm

12. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

are you looking for something to go in the sump? external? hang on back? do you have a preference for a particular type of skimmer like a becket? down draft? recirculating? etc...
    I like the DAS skimmers they are basically the exact same thing as the deltecs without the deltec logo on it or the hefty price tag. I also like the ETSS skimmers. They are very powerful if you size them up with the right pump.