Received My First Clams

Discussion in 'Clams' started by crank2211, Jun 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great looking clams, congrats

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Are you doing frequent larger water changes?

If not, you might be just biding your time. That's 9" of clam in a 90g IIRC. Sooner or later the alk and calcium demands will show how much clams use.

To the OP, those are nice looking clams. Derasas are one of my favorites. those grow like crazy. My derasa was only a third the size it is now, and I have had it not even a year. I had a nice green maxima as well, but a rogue emerald crab ate that one.

Yes, I caught that EC and banished it to the sump asap. If I hadn't I would have probably lost all of my clams.

4. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

THanks again guys.

That sucks about your Maxima Horkn, I also had a rogue emerald crab that took a liking towards some acan lords and a second smaller that would eat a large Kenya, which I didn't care about the coral so much but it was chopping off frags that were floating around and attaching to impossible to reach areas of live rock.. Should have gotten true green crabs. Mine were a reddish brown.

So far the Maxima doesn't want to stay where I put it, or maybe it's getting knocked off. Last night it plopped off the higher rock I put it on, tried placing on the same smaller rock but in the sand. This morning it's off the rock again kinda leaning over on its side in the sand. I can see it's threads exposed now. Barely but they're there. I placed him on the rock again a little higher up before leaving for work. We'll see where he ends up today.. Anyone have ideas on coercing a small maxima to stay where it's placed?

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Crank, try putting a flat ish rock under the sand,a nd the set the clam on the sand/ rock. That way it can't fall off. whe it has attached well, then move the rock with the clam, and either set or epoxy / glue the rock where you want it.

That was a few months ago with my emerald crab and its expensive habit. It was a true green one.

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Lucky, I go through Ca like its going out of style.

Very nice clam.

7. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

So Derasas looking about the same. The maxima I think is okay with the spot its in now. Hasn't jumped yet but still looks kinda wobbly when it does a quick pumping action. If it falls again I'll use the method horkn mentioned to try and get it to attach to the small rock.

It also looks a bit happier on day 2. Expanded a bit more. Can I use the way it looks now as a baseline for good health or do they usually expand some more? I can see it's siphons clearly now and some pattern inside. I know smaller maxima's don't have the best survival rate. If after a couple weeks we're still looking good can I consider myself in the clear survival wise or can they deteriorate at any time without a lot of signs?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I think the maxima looks about right. It appears happier than yesterday. They don't open as much as other clams do.

10. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

Great looking clams...I especially like the Maxima!!