Rebuilding a 190g

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Stercus Accidit, Dec 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stercus Accidit

Stercus Accidit Feather Duster

;D

Like it!

Although I wish it ran at a higher mA...I'll dig around a little more on that site though

2. Click Here!

3. Stercus Accidit

Stercus Accidit Feather Duster

I am so under educated on LED's...BUT wouldn't the Mean Well HLG-185-42B do the same thing at a little higher mA?

Do you have to run the full amount of LED's?

My question I guess would be-
    Using the Mean Well HLG-185-42B, can he run 3 strings of 12 LED's in white and on another one run 5 strings of 12 LED's in RB? That would give a mA rating of 880 instead of the 700. Since the tank is 30" deep the extra would be very helpful.

4. myboyblu

myboyblu Astrea Snail

We suffered a great loss today. My brother stercus- passed today. I will be continuing this build in memory of him. I miss him so much already

1 person likes this.
  5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I thought he was just on today (12/24)? :( What happened?

Very sorry for your loss. Especially at a time like this when family should be together.

6. myboyblu

myboyblu Astrea Snail

Update!

ok a lot has been going on withg thihs build since my last post sorry it has taken soooo long. My brother's spirit is defenitely living on in me, more on that later.
    OK he and I got the the old 190 tank taken apart and started to get the silicon off.
    here are some pics of what it looked like when we got it, and the clean up...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is how far we got together, the rest is up to me know. RIP
    my 1st thing i had to figure out how to get the water outside of the tank for the External Beananimal. noone would cut half inch glass so i took it apon myself! i have a friend with a wet tile saw and went to town. I checked around and could buy a sheet of glass for $100ish, so why not try to cut it myself 1st!
    [​IMG]
    I did it 1/2" off. looks great.
    I then ordered my black silicon GE 108RTV, it was not that much $7-8 tube. i ordered 3 which was plenty.
    I have to admit i was a little concerned about seam strength, how much silicon to use and all that jazz.
    but i just did it and this was the result
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I let the silicon set for a few days to ensure full tensil strength and then added water for the moment of truth!
    [​IMG]Thats kyles 4 year old!
    [​IMG]
    those 2 pipes are temporary, they will be 90* and return the water into the tank through rock piles and be completly hidden. this is the side of the tank that was cut short for the beananimal
    [​IMG]
    Ok, at this point the tank is full and holding water. I decided too start the beananimal. My pastor and friend Tim donated several sheets of 1/4" glass. I tell you this I am a gluton for punishment!
    6ft of 1/4" glass, a glass cutter, and some mineral oil, this is what you get...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry i didnt get any pics of me cutting the holes in the glass, but it was actualy easy. The holes are 1 3/4". I bought a diamond hole saw from http://www.glass-holes.com
    [/URL]
    [​IMG]
    This is the standard 1" bulkhead.
    After all the glass cutting, hhole drilling, and surprisingly no finger cutting, this is the end product..
    [​IMG]
    At this point I'm pretty excited, the tank is holding water, and the beananimal is coming along great. Its been a couple of days with the water in the tank, and I/m examining the seams to look for signs of stress or whatever may not "look" right. and this is what i find...
    [​IMG]
    The crack is down to the silicon! Heartbreaking! It's not leaking, but i dont want this in my living room with nearly 200 gallons of water and who knows how much $ in livestock.
    I now need to make a decision...
    This is where the "spirit" of kyle LIVES!
    1) I could cut the glas and just make the tank and inch shorter...not a bad idea but i still have the same concerns about seam strength, and what hapens if it just does it again?
    2) I am still considering it. completly change the design of the tank...
    build a plywood tank in a "L" shape using my existing front and back glass for the inner corner (that would be 10' of viewing). this tank would be nearly 600 Gallons! Bigger is always! the cons of this tank is each side would be 7' and very difficult to get through any doorway. I have gotten 2 more sheets of glass that are 72"x42" that would make great back sides of the tank, 7 viewable sides! How awesome would that be? How practible would that be?
    3) A great compromise, a standard rectangle plywood tank with the front and back made of the 2 sheets 72"x42" and the side made of the original front and back 60"x30" cut down to 42"x30". That make the tank 400+gallons and CRAZY tall!
    I need feed back on these ideas! lol
    the "L" shape would be super cool and loads of room in the tank for any livestock i would want. While the standard rectangle would be cool with 42" highth, and you cant shake a stick at 400gallons either

7. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

WOW...what a journey.
    Feel the spirit.. excellent build...I would not know what to do right now if that was me. : /
    Sorry for your loss.

8. Click Here!

9. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

Incredible build and sorry for your loss.

10. myboyblu

myboyblu Astrea Snail

Well I decided to go BIG! 435 Gallons in an "L" shaped wood tank. After tons of planning and figuring out dimensions, I went to my hardware store and bought all the wood that I think I’ll need. I’m sure I’ll be headed back up there again soon. This is what I’ve gotten so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have a lot planned for this tank and can’t wait to show off how clean this tank is going to look.

11. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Holy chit !! thats crazy..8)

12. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

build looks awesome cant wait to see it all come together.