Real and I mean real coral reef skeletons.

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Babytank, Jul 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

I'm not sure what I would do to get the moss off...I used to live in Port Angeles, WA so I know what you're talking about. Had to powerspray everything with a northern exposure every summer to remove the dang green growth!

2. Click Here!

3. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

She never used chemicals on her grass or yard. I wonder if I just soaked the one with the moss separately in saltwater for awhile might do it. You gotta admit, this must be a first on here with this problem!

4. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

Yeah you want to make sure you get the soil off completely. Fertilizer tends to have a lot of phosphates and pH buffers to raise the pH in the soil for better growth. Not to mention all the things they put in there to kill off pests and run off water from rain.

The moss dying would likely cause a huge spike in ammonia, which is a good reason to get as much off as possible.

5. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks for the advice all!

6. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Im gunna go out on a limb here and say Id soak in in some bleach for a couple days, just set it in some bleach leave it alone for a few days and if that doesnt kill the moss Id bake it in an oven at 450 :p

7. hazard1986

hazard1986 Fire Worm

+1 for bleach id also power wash it and let it sit in the sun for a week and then some RO water for a week just make sure u get all the bleach out. Nice find. As someone sid its not illegal to own them its illegal to pull them out of the ocean. If you got them at a yard sale your fine. My center piece in my tank is from a huge piece of old coral

8. Click Here!

9. cybe

cybe Plankton

That should do it -- you can tell where I dump my water-changes out back because all the moss that grows between the stones in that area has died! I'd soak all of it in SW. Beautiful rocks though man!

10. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

You may also want to let them soak is a solution of Hydrochloric acid and water for a few hours. Rinse them well and let them dry. I've done this to clean live rock and it dissolves most organics.

Jack