Ready to throw in the towel---mad and discouraged

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Lady J, Oct 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

Hold on a tic, you're actually dosing nitrates? But your nitrates are too high? <head spins like beetlejuice>

2. Click Here!

3. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

LOL I know, crazy.

This is a 30g. medium planted tank. Because I have a Current USA 2 lamp w/individual reflectors, my tank needs carbon dosing and fertilizers. If I'm understanding 2n10 correctly, it's very possible that the nitrates in the fertilizer tablets are high and with adding nitrates along with the other ferts., it's too much because my plants can't use as much as I'm dosing.

I'm going on process of elimination here. I don't overfeed, my bioload is not in excess, and I have been doing large weekly water changes.

Now, a great solution is to purchase a canister filter to ensure excellent filtration because my biowheel is junk. But, I can't do that without creating many other issues (ie: knee dislocating). However, up until a few days ago my filtration was doing an excellent job even though it's just a biowheel.

Ugh.:-/

Forgot to say this: I was getting more and more algae on my plants because I wasn't dosing fertilizers. Higher light with no ferts = excess algae. I had to balance this out. Unfortunately though, although I've been dosing exactly 3 ml. for my system, it's apparently too much.

4. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

The "yesterday my filtration was doing an excellent job" ---- "then it crashed" usually means your filtration is not quite up to it.

However there are many many different things you can do! Some that can even prevent that knee dislocating!.

5. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

My system didn't crash though---there's been no deaths whatsoever. Fish are thriving, the snail is doing well, and the plants are growing daily.

6. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

Plus, no one said the canister HAS to be below the tank. 8) can make a shelf next to the tank to hold the filter at a reasonable height. Also, I would chill as far as dosing nitrates (or whatever it is you use to dose said nitrates) and let the system do it's thing for a while.

Also, as Ryan so kindly pointed out; it seems to be time to upgrade to better filtration anyways. A nice Eheim Classic 2211 would suit your setup very nicely. Also, they're relatively inexpensive when compared to most other canister filters of similar quality.

7. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

There is no room on either side of the tank to put a canister. Additionally, this is in my living room so I wouldn't have it sitting out anyway.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

10. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

A little mini hob fuge is an interesting idea. :)

Let's step back for a moment. My tank has a small bioload. I'm not convinced that the HOB is incapable of filtering well, especially considering that it has been. I think it can't handle the amount of nitrates that were added via ferts. Remember, I'm not seeing a nitrogen cycle, just nitrates from dosing. Unless I'm clueless, these are very different things.

Now, if I wiped out too much beneficial bacteria from the sand and driftwood, then yes, a small cycle may start. But, nothing is registering except nitrates---again, they were added.

As I said earlier, I believe the best thing to do right now is reduce wc's to 25% weekly and quit adding nitrates.

If I keep messing with everything my tank will crash.

11. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

100% agree.

12. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Just occurred to me: the plants kinda function like macro in a fuge, it's a 30g. fuge. ::);D