Ready to throw in the towel---mad and discouraged

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Lady J, Oct 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

For the 3g. betta tank, the water always tests 0 for nitrites and nitrates (ammonia test kit is at a friend's)---I was just trying to keep it extremely clean. I will cut back on his feeding although I wonder if doing it right now will weaken his system. I just dosed BettaFix so this should help.

Regarding the filtration system for the 30g. I don't overfeed and in fact was going to buy a 2nd Marineland to ensure adequate filtration. However, I was advised by several people to NOT do that because it would keep the water too clean seeing as there are plants in the tank. The filter is rated up to 50g. and albeit that's not huge, neither is my bioload.

I believe I'm over-cleaning the tank.

Thank you for helping me. There might be a tad bit of confusion here: the betta tank (3g.) tests 0 for nitrItes and nitrAtes which is why I'm confused regarding why he appears to be sick. I just did a 100% wc prior to dosing the medication and there was no gunk coming out from the sand. That tank is clean.

The 30g. planted tank is the one having cloudy water and high nitrate issues, not the 3g.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I can imagine dislocating your hip was bad. I've done it to my shoulder and now my knee and it really hurts.

Unfortunately there is no room behind the tank or on either side for a canister.

4. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Custom Hang on the back refugium is what I would be going with. So its abit thinner to fit.

Then grow some macro algae and ornamental shrimp such as cherry shrimp :)

And 100% agree with your previous post about over cleaning.

Edit, When its possible though, I would look into a small UV sterilizer, that you can house in tank. And maybe hide it behind a few plants.
    http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3328

5. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

A custom fuge is an idea. Kinda like it actually. :) First though, I'm going to take John's advice and quit dosing nitrates and see if that helps. It's difficult because there are several things going on simultaneously: 1) cloudy water, 2) then green water, and 3) then high nitrates.

So, I'm cleaning too much which removed too much bacteria, I'm leaving the lights on too long (although this has remained a constant) and/or dosing too much which caused algae, and again, I must be dosing too much nitrate fert. which is why the nitrates are up.

Maybe I'm trying too hard.

Later, down the road maybe I can get a sterilizer. Can't do it right now.

6. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Amen to that. I did the same thing when I started and caused multiple crashes.

100% agree with stop dosing fertilizer etc for the time being. Just focus on water changes.

10 hours of light is ample in my opinion. I have a pretty basic LED over my 2ft freshwater and its on for 10hr and my plants grow like crazy, every 3 or so weeks I need to chop them all the way down.

I would also get some bacteria etc, API Stresszyme or equivalent and start dosing that frequently to start to build up the bacterial levels. That is why I suggested the prodibio line, seems abit pricey, but from what I have heard can do wonders for the bacterial levels in your tank (I have just purchased a couple of the lines for my reef), if they go well and I get bit more cash I will be buying the full line for my reef and freshie tanks.

Also, I would try to not disturb your substrate when you vaccum, I only vaccum the detritus off the top, not actually stir up the substrate which will remove all your beneficial bacteria.

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

With 2 different fresh water tanks that I had I realized that I tried too hard. Rushed it, tried too many new and exciting products, didnt know what was causing my problems because of all the added variables then tore the tank down. That was when I was 16 and first started. Young and stupid. Now Im still young but a little less stupid. Go slow, taking it easy allows more time for your tank to mature and gain stability. Now if I were to start another fresh water tank Id go so slow its not even funny to make sure I wouldnt do what I did in the past. This is just my input, but throughout the ups and downs in my life the last couple years my freshwater tank has been stable. Maybe not pretty, but stable. lol

8. Click Here!

9. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

You know what I think my biggest problem is: my mind hasn't switched over very well from salt to fresh.

Yeah, I only run my lights from 9am to 7pm which should be fine.

I generally only surface vacuum. Do you gently stir your sand? Geez, this sounds like we're talking salt, not fresh.

I might need some bacteria booster.

I'm trying too hard.

10. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I really appreciate your input. I didn't rush this system at all when I first started it. Almost 10 years of reefkeeping teaches you that.

I truthfully think I'm simply cleaning it too much.

Plan----> 25% weekly wc and quit dosing nitrates. I'm not going to change the feeding because I'm not giving my fish too much food. If I can't get it under control I'll try that but I'm 99% sure that that isn't the problem.

11. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I had the same trouble trying to switch from fresh to salt. I struggled upping my maintenance etc, because my freshwater runs on very little. Now I have my mind in salt water mode, my freshwater tank seems zero work. So basically if your fresh water is becoming more work than your saltwater, your definately trying to hard.

12. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I think my dog has the right idea: chill on the couch and relax.

And oh yeah, I've probably been doing more on my fresh than I did on my salt with the exception of daily top off. I think I have issues. :D