Ready to throw in the towel---mad and discouraged

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Lady J, Oct 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

What type of filtration are you using? Just normal cannister filtration?

My plants grow extremely well with out the use of fertilizers, or other stuff. I dose occaisionally, nitrogen, iron, phosphorus and some other trace elements. As well as some bacteria every water change. IMO lighting is the best way to get optimal plant growth.

IMO, and its my opinion only, that your issues are coming from over cleaning your cannister filter and removing beneficial bacteria. I did the same thing as you when I started freshies and my tank crashed twice. IMO you only need to clean out your cannisters once every 3 months minimum. As otherwise you are taking away to much of the bacterial goodness.

My cannister filter even houses cherry shrimp that get sucked up all the time and I put them back in the tank every few months I clean it out. They live happy in there with no problems.

I would suggest cutting back your maintenance routine of the filtration. And go back to 10% a week water change. I think that is ample for fresh water.

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

PS. Dont throw in the towel. I nearly did when I first started and if I had I would never have beautiful (basically zero maintenance) freshy tank I have now, or have ever ventured into salt water.

Albeit to that I would have for more money :p.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I don't like the biowheels for filtration. I prefer canister filters, you can add more mechanical filtration as well as biological and chemical. I suggest you look into a Fluval 106 or something similar. Don't dose any nitrate fertilizer. I have found the tabs can be bad about adding too much in.

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I personally have done many different strategies in keeping freshwater tanks. Ive gone without any significant water changes for 6 months but now I do around 30 percent weekly depending on my work schedule. I attribute my freshwater tank's stability to its deep substrate that houses the vast majority of the beneficial bacteria. I overfed for a long time to help give the plants the nitrates they needed and my levels were always in check. Around 20ppm NO3 is where I like to stay in my freshwater tank. How old is your tank? This could be a big part of your issue. My tank is around 5 years old so it is very established, I could do just about anything to the tank and the fish would be just fine. lol

6. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

7. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

the amount and frequency of water changes you do is entirely dependent on how quickly nitrates build up in YOUR system. There is NO set amount that is necessary. Most people will say to do 25% in a freshwater tank weekly. But this is nothing but a guideline. Some people never do water changes. Some people do daily water changes. It is important to know YOUR system and determine how often you should be doing water changes. In my personal opinion, if you are having to do water changes more than twice a week, something is seriously wrong, either you feed to much, there are too many fish in the tank (a betta in a 3 g is not too much, im just generalizing here) or your biological filtration is inadequate. Another reason small tanks are harder to keep is because the slightest change (even changing a filter cartridge) can upset the biological balance of the ecosystem. For a betta, I would cut down on feeding maybe one pellet every 2-3 days until you figure out what is going on. Betta's do pretty well even if you dont feed them everyday and by cutting back on the feeding it will help you get control of the nitrates and poor water quality.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Ok, I'll stop the nitrate ferts and see how things go. I would prefer a canister too, but again, working with one would be really hard for me because of my knees. Have you ever dislocated something? It hurts.

It sounds like you're running a great system. :) My tank is three months old.

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Couldnt have said it better.

11. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Darn it, tried to multi quote and it didn't work.

Ryan, I use a HOB because frequently when I am on the floor (say, playing with my dog), when I try to get up my right knee dislocates. So, I can't work under the tank with a canister which is why I bought the biowheel. I know they're not that great but have you ever dislocated a shoulder or a knee? OUCH.

12. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I have dislocated my hip before. Which was mega painful.

Maybe you could try to put the cannister on some sort of stand, behind the tank, so it is not down underneath the tank, but high enough that you can maintain it where necessary?

That might be a worth a shot? I dont think you will be going where fast with HOB filters. Maybe a hang on the back fresh water refugium growing fresh water macro algaes? Bit different but could work a treat.