Re-cycling

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by prat4821, Nov 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. prat4821

prat4821 Astrea Snail

I'm sure this has already been asked but I can't find precisely the right answer.

The tank I'm setting up is essentially someone else's setup, I bought it and moved it on Sunday complete with his live rock and sand. I rinsed the sand thoroughly to keep the nitrates down a bit but I put his rock in as is.

Everything was in buckets containing his water the whole time so it stayed wet. The travel in the car should've created enough movement to oxygenate it and I put everything in the tank as soon as I got home.

So my question is - what kind of cycle am I looking at here? It seems to me that it shouldn't have to undergo a completely new cycling process as most of the beneficial bacteria should've been able to piggyback with the rock. I'd imagine I'll have some die off, but nothing too extreme.

If I put in some cycling solution and keep a close eye on my nitrates, shouldn't my cycle time be countable in weeks rather than months?

Again, sorry if this has been answered already.

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

i would forget the magic solution. be patient and keep testing. you will prob see some spikes but with it being established , it shouldnt be a very long cycle. just my 2 cents.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Stiring up the sand bed will release all sorts of nasty things. Rinsing and rinsing will elliminate most but I would still test for a quick cycle. Basically everything that was trapped in the sand will now be processed by the LR.

J