Re: Building a Venturi Protein Skimmer

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Land_Fish, May 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

PVC can be a lot cheaper and easier to work with. I just happened onto some of the main parts cheaper than I thought I would so I went ahead and used the acrylic. I'm sure you could retro an airstone type skimmer to a venturi type. 8)

So far, my biggest drawback has been the learning curve on working with acrylic...and figuring out how to dial in the skimmer, with the proper pump, to get the most efficiency out of this type of skimmer. Fortunately I have time and am in no real hurry. The tank is in month two and is going through the first brown diatom bloom soon to be followed by the green algae bloom. ;D

I have managed to figure out some adapters for the skimmer output that allow the fittings to lie flat against a surface and seal off against the curvature of the skimmer body with a gasket...much more stable than trying to curve fill the gaps with gasket. I will post some pics when I get them finished. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Drew