Re: Building a Venturi Protein Skimmer

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Land_Fish, May 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I was in the landscape-irrigation industry here in San Diego. I think I can probably find the Venturi at one of the wholesale irrigation supply warehouses. That is actually the biggest expense. Then while I am waiting for my rock to cure (6-8 weeks) I'll have time to cut the acrylic and fittings and glue it up. Fairly sure that if the acrylic tubing is too expensive a square configuration for the main body can be incorporated along with the inner tubing. The collection cup design might be a bit of a challenge. It should be removable and also have a drain fitting.

2. Click Here!

3. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

Well, I 'm interested in your progress. I will follow your threads. Best of luck!!

4. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

The glue that you use to put together the acrylic joints actually forms a bond as if the pieces were built as one piece. In other words the solvent melts the two pieces together. I don't see any necessity for molding or bending If the design is kept simple I should be able to use standard fittings to get the water flow correct. The venturi is much like an irrigation nozzle in the long throw sprinkler systems. Or a carburetor venturi inlet. It simply mixes air into the water. Bubble size is regulated by the size of the aperture.
    ;)

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Kent Marine sells a venturi that may help you:

http://www.mops.ca/pics1/PACH-TurboV.jpg

6. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Thank you Matt...not a bad little venturi for $28. ;D This will do very nicely. I think this little skimmer might just kick some bootey...we will see. I think I have the sump/refugium worked out and the skimmer should cost around $100 with the pump and then I'm gonna make me a weir...and then I'll need a return pump proabably a MAG 5 [smiley=thinking2.gif] with a tee back into the sump to control flow.

Thanks again..you guys are great [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No problem, good luck! :)

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Zipped off an order to usplastics for the stuff for the skimmer. :eek: :eek:

You have to get the acrylic tubing in 6' lengths and the clear PVC in 10' lengths.
    That will give me enough of that material to build three of these skimmers. ;D

The other parts I would have to order seperately ( the top and bottom of the main reaction chambers and collection cups).
    All together for $85 I'll have one complete skimmer and expensive parts for two more. [smiley=bouncylaugh.gif]
    The Venturi runs $28.

Then the skimmer pump I haven't decided on yet. I don't think that it will need to be very big. It will be pumping out of the sump side of the refugium into the skimmer and back into the sump.

Any suggestions on pump size would be appreciated.

I'll try to get a diagram up online soon. [smiley=computer.gif]

10. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Here's a diagram of the Skimmer as best as I can do. I am not used to using paths to draw with in Photoshop so excuse the imperfections.

Parts from U.S.Plastics.com.

4" acrylic tubing (6ft lengths)      33.60
    2" acrylic tubing (6ft lengths)      10.80
    3-4" acrylic circles                          4.62
    1-5" acrylic circle                            1.80
    1/2" clear PVC (10ft lengths)       11.60

Fittings from Home Dept              15.00
    Fittings I just happened to have
    tubing, 1" gang valve etc.   0.00

Glue                                               ?.??

Kent Venturi                                 28.14

Total + shipping                          125.00

There will be enough of the expensive stuff left over to build 2 more.

I might make it a little shorter. It's at 31" right now but according to the air saturation and amount of time the air bubbles can be in contact with the water the reaction chamber should be 24". We will see what we will see.

The outlet will be a 1" pipe w/simple PVC style "bulkhead" with washer near the bottom and a 1" gang valve To regulate the height of the air/water mixture.
    I think I'll put a flange around the bottom so the base is removable for cleaning the body. Same with the top of the collection cup.

11. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I was thinking that I might want to put a tee inline between the pump and the venturi with the other line going back into the sump. This, along with the gang valve at the output, would facilitate dialing in the skimmer for maximum efficiency. I'm a little leary of putting back pressure on the pump by using the gang valve.

Any thoughts out there?

Attached Files:

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah I got one... isn't the 2" skinny tube inside going to prevent the bubbles from saturating the big tube? I don't see an outlet on it at the bottom so I am confused.

[smiley=stars.gif]