Rapid salinity drop, corals unhappy.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jrwoltman, Sep 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Glad you all know what I meant, my 0 key must not be working at work, I'm going to have to check it out in the AM. Don't do anything with the plate, leave it in the tank you might be supprised.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

12:47, Wow am I tired. I am sticking it out for another half an hour to dose one more time. I am so furious with Aquarium Adventure, I bet they do nothing to rectify the situation.

4. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

The old saying "You want something done right, do it yourself". Depending on LFS can be for the birds at times. You'll be fine buddy..

1 person likes this.
  5. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Let's hope so, because this has been one great pain in the ass.

6. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I here ya.. I can not stress enough. One of my best investments was my RODI system. I have 30gal of saltwater already premade & 60gal of RODI ready to be mixed in storage barrels. You never know when disaster may strike. You can click on my 90gal tread & see my system in detail.

7. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Well,

Here I am just over 24 hours later. Promises of I will look into it from the Bolingbrook Aquarium Adventure manager Nick, have come and gone. He never called me back as promised. Calls to corporate were responded with, "it's a franchise" to which I replied, "so you, the parent won't do anything to help me?" To which she said, "contact the owners and if they can not resolve this we will." I called the store just now and was told, "he just stepped out..." Can you hear me holding my breath to get any resolution over this???

On a positive note, I have slowly, over the last 24 hours raised the salinity to 1.024. The corals are definitely still stressed, but at least the fish are all happy. Losses due to Aquarium Adventures blunder and apathy: 1 medium plate coral (platty, may you rest in peace) 1 really cool paly frag, and a few blastomussa heads and possibly the whole colony. I am sad for the losses, but optimistic that the other corals will rebound. God willing.

Thanks to all who gave me sage advice, it was and is greatly appreciated. Aquarium Adventure closes in 1 hour, 33 minutes. I wonder if I will hear from them...............

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

fwiw, ive left the rodi running and left for work to come back at lunch and find the sump full and 3 gallons on the floor!:-/ done it twice so far. lol, while the corals got mad, i didnt lose anything. just siphoned some water out and added over a few hours. oh and simple green sticks to your hands no matter how much you wash it off. that makes everything in the tank slime!

1 person likes this.
  10. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the encouragement, but unfortunately it was about almost 2 days before I realized what happened.

11. wildblue

wildblue Astrea Snail

I'm going to play devils advocate here, please don't take offense. It's a cruddy situation when a lfs that you've been doing business with and trust messes up and damages your tank.

1. You as a tank owner are ultimately responsible for what goes in your tank. Regardless of the source; fish, coral, sand and water should only go in your tank after you have given your approval. Offloading this responsibility to someone else is handing control of the success of your tank to someone else.

2. Screw ups happen. These forums are full of stories of mishaps by people who have accidentally done things that were detrimental to the health of their tank. Everyone has a story. LFS stores are no different.

Lastly. What type of help or compensation are you looking for? Have you lost any livestock? If so, do you believe they should replace them? Should people be fired? Assurances that it won't happen again? It was probably inattention that was the root cause. Despite assurances, in all likelihood it will happen again someday.

I guess my point is that screw ups happen. No one is raking you over the coals for not testing. Would it maybe be acceptable to give the lfs a heads up that they have a bad batch of water and then let it go? You've gained some valuable experience without loosing any(much?) livestock. That's a win.

Apologies again. This wasn't intended as a bash, just a (hopefully somewhat useful) different perspective.

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Unfortunately, I know from personal experience also that saltwater and ro water gets mixed up a lot at stores....they forget to add salt or they double add salt! When I had my first tank professionally set up they brought their own water, I had 100 lbs of rock and they filled the tank. At the end, the guy said it was ok to transfer all my livestock from my old tank to the new one. I had purchased a refractometer at the time and he thought he better double check the salinity and it was at 1.034! Apparently the store double mixed my saltwater! Luckily i had not transferred any livestock over, but it was another week before they could come back and do a major waterchange!

so definatly no lectures on the situation is warrented from anybody....it happens. It is sad that the store is not responding...even if just to say, hey sorry! Let me give you new water for your troubles.

Corals are more resistent then you think. They can tolerate a rapid drop fairly well. They become stressed and dont like it....but they will survive. The biggest thing here is that you did not do anything rash! You took your time and gradually brought the salinity back up! They will recover.

Do you have any inverts....shrimp or starfish. Those do not fair so well in low salinity and you might loose those if you have them.

Hang in there and good luck