Rapid Ich outbreak

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by madsalt, Apr 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Clowns are hardier. They probably weren't stressed. My guess is that the angel was stressed by the move from the QT to the DT and got ich then. But that doesn't explain why the others got it.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Also, if fish get ich several times and successfully fight it off, they get natural immunity from it.

I.e. if you got Chicken Pox as a kid, you usually get immunity for life from it.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yes, but it makes you a prime candidate for a case of shingles when you get older :D

Is it still a common belief that ich is always present in tanks, regardless of quarantine procedures, etc.?

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Ugh!!! I had chicken pox so bad (even down my throat and in my sinuses) that I can't even imagine shingles.

Is it still a common belief that ich is always present in tanks, regardless of quarantine procedures, etc.?[/QUOTE]

I would say it's in most people's tanks because most people don't QT and are constantly adding new fish. However, ACQUIRED IMMUNITY is scientific fact, there are people that QT all new fish properly, and if you go a certain number of months without adding a new fish, they will all be immune. (I believe it's 11 months).

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

A QT at the lfs? A QT is one you set up yourself IMHO. I use a 5 gallon bucket and a airstone/sponge filter with a few rocks and a piece of PVC.

I hope every is well in your tank.

7. SwimsWithFish

I think so. Its present in your tank for a few months. It needs a host to live so after a while it does off.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Is it still a common belief that the cysts can also come in on live rock, coral frags, etc.? If so, I don't see being able to avoid it being in your tank unless you quarantine everything, including macros for your refugiums, etc.

10. SwimsWithFish

I believe in that. Ick spends part of its life cycle on the sandbed.

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I read the other day that 60% of fish carry ick. They might have only one spot in their gill, or behind a fin, but there it is. Clown fish have thicker slime coats that help, and tangs have thinner which hurts, but in the end their immune systems produce a protein that will fight ick.

This is the reason that people have outbreaks. Something stresses the tank, PH, stray current, and new comers are the big three. I would skip the garlic and stick with a regular selcon soak with all your quality food. UV can kill the ick in their cyst phase and until very recently i thought it was a silly extravagance, but i love mine now.

12. madsalt

madsalt Plankton

Ich update

Ich update all seems to be going very good as of this morning. All fish still very active, eating and swimming. Fins on all three fish look great and only one spot on my flame that as of tonight I believe is gone. My hippo still has the dark spots but they are fading away.

This is the weirdest outbreak of ich I have seen. This is my first salt tank but even with fresh I never saw it do this.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, I learned a few new things that I have put into practice and I hope to avoid this in the future.

Isn't this hobby great ;D