Random SPS

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by zesty, Jan 27, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

The part that I can comment on, is I am getting more colors than I had before. PE, well ever since I got rid of that pesky bicolor angel, my PE is has solid. However, l will say that PE is improved, slightly.

I will add that I use a local frozen blend (similar to rods/LRS) that had amino acids in there as well. However, the AAs in the frozen food would cause my skimmer to go bonkers. Acropower does not. What does that mean to me? That I probably use too much acropower, since I don't have to worry about my skimmer... haha!
    What that also means is I don't use as much of my local frozen food that I would like.

I will put a capful in with some tank water and food and then dump it all in. Sometimes I turn my return pump off, sometimes I don't. however, the circulation pumps always get shut down after the food is spread or before the spot feeding.

Corailline likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Good to know. I heard that it does not cause severe algae issues as long as you do not over do it, that is important in a nano.

4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I just ordered some as well! If it turns out to be snake oil we can join together and go get him!

Corailline and zesty like this.
  5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Haha! Rut row! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

From what I've read, It is a valid concern when dosing AAs. I treat it as food and then it's like the "concentrate" version of food.

Corailline likes this.
  6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

How much do you dose per gallon?

Corailline likes this.
  7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

From the directions it says, dose 5 ml per 25 gallons at least once a week. I usually do between 5-10 mls (total) twice a week.
    To me, their dosing instructions is so basic it's laughable. But then I thought about it and said, how could you ever make instructions for this? It's like having eating instructions when you go out on the town to eat. "Honey, you want to go out for sushi?" "Did you check that paper thingy that came with the food the last time?" "Hold on.....Wait no, hold on.... crap, the instructions say I have to wait a week before I can eat sushi again. Dangit". I guess I think the same for the tank and their feeding. How do I know what fills up my reef or leaves it hungry?

Like I said earlier, I treat it as a concentrate food. I feed heavy, well cause my fish learned from the dogs... but I only use the acropower 2x a week max so far. I'm coming close to the end of my second bottle now. I guess I don't like the standard x per gallon instructions. But I do like the SPS in my tank.

Speaking of... you can't have a bad sushi pun without some pictures. :D

This picture is basically showing how far down it encrusted before taking off. The way they grow is really really too cool.
    [​IMG]

This one was just because I really like the red planet frag. Why didn't I get one of these sooner?
    [​IMG]

blurry cell phone pics might be accompanied by better ones later!

8. Click Here!

9. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

your cell pone takes better pics than my wifes camera

Reefbuilder likes this.
  10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Haha thanks. I've just had a lot of practice...
    I still have a hard time with a FTS with my cell phone, it never turns out that great.

11. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Looking good!

zesty likes this.
  12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Zesty you always make me laugh. :rolleyes:

I love the images too.

zesty likes this.