Raising dKH

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by starfish2217, May 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. antdizzle

antdizzle Peppermint Shrimp

i bake my baking soda for about an hr then mix in ro/di then i can use in my top off or i drip it ( my preferred method)

2. Click Here!

3. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

If you bake it causes a large increase in pH, if you don't it causes a small drop in pH. Choose the method to suit your tank and add slowly.
    I think you aren't supposed to increase your alk by more than 1 or 2 dkh a day.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You are just about right on the max. 1 meq/l per day is the recommended max and that equals 2.8 dKH.

5. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

Just got back from they gym! Time to fix the tank Im checking out the bulk reef supply site now thanks 2in10! My PH is at 8.1 and my calcium tested at 420

6. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Yup, I use baking soda as well on my tank. 1 tsp = about 1dKH for me, and I figure I have about 80-90 gallons total. Funny, the BRS calculator is telling me to double that dosage, and I'm selecting sodium bicarbonate. HUH????

Well, I'd recommend going at it in very small increments, like adding 1/4 tsp at a time and retesting for dKH until you figure out how much a certain quantity will raise it by 1dKH in your tank. Write that number down and save for future reference.

7. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Going to try this. So just normal baking soda? The BRS calculator says i need 4.6 tsp to bring it from 6-10dkh. So i should just start with like 2tsp to bring it up to around 8? then the next day another 2?

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Arm and Hammer baking soda is the popular brand I have noted

you could probably get away with raising it 2dkh in a 24 hour period, but make the additions slowly over the course of a few hours rather than pouring that amount in - a slow drip with a looped and pulled tight airline will do as a dosing method, with the jug sat on the aquarium lid or on shelf higher than sump, should you be dripping into the sump rather than DT

you could take 3 or 4 days to go from 6 - 10
    but 8 is fine anyway and many people settle for a DKH level around that

Steve