Radion - the negatives

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Beachbreak, Dec 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Beachbreak

Beachbreak Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

First off let me say I'm a fan boy of EcoTech Marine. I have their pumps, glue etc and would sport a tshirt of theirs if I had one. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about these guys but...

All I'm reading about on the Radions is how great they are. I really want to believe the hype but realistically; it can't be all unicorns and rainbows. Let's hear from some people who have had some kind of issue whether it be mechanical (failed LED/fan etc) or biological (browned/fried corals etc) so we can get a better handle on these units. I'm not trying to trash the units - in fact I'm just trying to get a grasp on if they have potentially nailed the LED key. We know of the issues with using AI. What are some issues that have come up with using the EcoTech product?

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I know only one person who has these on here, and very few otherwise...

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

the only negative I"m currently experiencing is I don't have the friggin' hanging kit and my unit is currently sitting unused!

I think it's a bit too early to get any definitive negatives.

A few things I wonder about are:

- will the set-up of the fan facing the water surface pose problems with splashing/saltcreep,etc..

- some have said that they felt the Radion was too dim coming from a T5/MH set-up (but this is for LED in general)

- will the use of LED spectrum in red/green cause algae/cyano outbreaks?

Those are just a few I am thinking about before this puppy goes up.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  5. reefer Dave

reefer Dave Astrea Snail

I'm thinking of getting one for my bio-cube HQI. Trouble is, how would I mount it? I don't want to put holes in the ceiling to hang it. And, there's no bracket available to sit it on top of my tank. They should make a bracket.

EcoTech, are you reading this? You should make a bracket like Vertex does. I may spend the extra 200 bucks and buy an Illumina, just so I can mount it above my tank.

6. reefer Dave

reefer Dave Astrea Snail

Ah ha! There is a bracket that should work. It appears that this hundred dollar mount from AquaticLife should do it. AquaticLife Stand Light Fixture Hanger

I don't think the Radion is very heavy, although the weight isn't noted on the website specs. So, the wooden stand should be able to support the weight.

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

the fan never shuts off, even when the lights are out. it could be on a heat sensor and turn on and off

8. Click Here!

9. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I havent heard a lot of people mention the AI SOL on here, I think thats a winner for sure

10. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

Here's one over $700 per unit. So at least 2 units over anything other than a cube. I can buy alot of t5 bulbs with that.

11. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Make the bracket out of pvc, paint it black, cut slits in the bottom of the pipe to suit on the tank edge and voila.

12. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Mine comes on and off depending on unit heat. You might want to contact them about that.

Michael Rice
    Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
    Sent from Tapatalk so excuse my poor English